Railroad Forums 

• NRHS 2012 Convention - Cedar Rapids, Iowa

• General discussion related to all railroad clubs, museums, tourist and scenic lines. Generally this covers museums with static displays, museums that operate excursions, scenic lines that have museums, and so on. Check out the Tourist Railway Association (TRAIN) for more information.
General discussion related to all railroad clubs, museums, tourist and scenic lines. Generally this covers museums with static displays, museums that operate excursions, scenic lines that have museums, and so on. Check out the Tourist Railway Association (TRAIN) for more information.

Moderators: rob216, Miketherailfan

#853179  by Bartman-tn

As some of you know, I've been asked to chair the 2012 NRHS convention. Both the folks at Tacoma (2011 convention) and myself have been asked to make some changes with the way the conventions are operated. Among these changes are to get info out sooner, make trips available to the general public, operate different types of trips (photo trains, etc.), and involve the communities more.

While the folks at Tacoma have made a number of changes that should soon be announced, the 2012 convention has been able to benefit from changes Tacoma is trying and we already have a website up with basic information about Cedar Rapids (Iowa) and the 2012 convention. While it is not posted yet, hotel contracts are already signed and we have already had meetings with railroads about trips, some of which will be very different.

I can tell you that the NRHS Board has heard many of the complaints posted here and elsewhere and is trying to make changes. Hopefully, Tacoma in 2011 and Iowa in 2012 will interest a few more of you.

For those who ride my charter passenger trains and attend my photo freight events, you have an idea of what I'm looking at...so may the speculation begin!

http://www.nrhs.com/nrhsconv/2012conv.htm

Bart Jennings
 #853186  by JhnZ33

I wish you luck and much success Bart. Our chapter just hosted the 2010 Convention and, although I wasn't involved in the committee, I know it is a LOT of hard work and takes precise planning to pull it off. Please keep us updated on the convention.

John
 #853195  by Bartman-tn

The folks at Scranton did a good job and really showed it with all of the rail difficulties that were faced (derailment, shifted bridge). Also, I know that several ideas were rejected because Scranton operated under the old NRHS convention policy, but it was the first convention in about a decade that I stayed for the entire event. Normally, I come in for one or two days and then do other things in the area, often running my own small event (trip, photo train, etc.) for a few friends. We are hoping to have some events designed for small groups with unique interests that normally don't come to NRHS conventions. I hope it works.
 #853723  by Otto Vondrak

Bartman-tn wrote:I can tell you that the NRHS Board has heard many of the complaints posted here and elsewhere and is trying to make changes. Hopefully, Tacoma in 2011 and Iowa in 2012 will interest a few more of you.
Hi Bart-

Thanks for the post and please keep us updated... I'm interested to see how the new policies affect the conventions going forward.

-otto-
 #939987  by Bartman-tn

For those who are interested, the initial details for the 2012 NRHS Convention will go out the week of the Tacoma 2011 convention. The information will also be posted quickly on the NRHS website. We are still on schedule for ticket sales beginning this fall, giving folks plenty of time to plan.
 #952586  by Bartman-tn

The initial information on the 2012 NRHS convention is now posted on the NRHS website.

One of our goals was to get information out earlier so folks could do planning in advance. We also hope to be selling tickets this fall. Many contracts are signed and details are now being worked on.

One of the big goals is to have non-members participate. Tickets will open up to non-members earlier (if they are available) but anyone will be able to join to buy sooned. There is also not a preregistration required to get early notice about the events. Everything will be on the website.

Again, some of these changes are due to comments from folks here and elsewhere.

Bart Jennings
2012 NRHS Convention Chair
 #986375  by Bartman-tn

If you haven't checked it out lately, details are out for the 2012 NRHS Convention and you can begin buying tickets right now.

A few changes that have come about are earlier sales (it helps to have friendly railroads), the ability to join the NRHS and then buy tickets (attracting new members is a goal of the Iowa Convention), rail events every day with long meetings broken up into multiple parts (Board of Directors and Membership Meeting now on separate days - they often run long delaying other activities), and educational sessions during the evenings. There are others and we hope to see how they are being accepted.

On registration, you can now order on-line and immediately see the ticket availability when you order. Paper orders are also still being accepted and a small block of tickets are being held for a short time for paper orders. A big change is that you can now have your tickets mailed to you a month before the convention, something that 90% of the orders so far have requested. This will really help with lines at the registration table and allow folks to show up the day of their first event without worrying about the times of the registration table. For some events, the bus is now also optional so you can drive to the event (Old Threshers and Boone & Scenic Valley) and railfan on your own before and after the event.

While all of these changes may not continue in the future, the NRHS is trying to modernize some of the parts of its convention and hopes to continue to do so in the future. NRHS will also be announcing some very interesting future events (a rail tour of Israel is getting ready to leave next week, for example) and convention locations, so stay tuned.

Again, thanks for your comments and I hope to see you in Iowa. And if all you are going to do is come out and chase, why don't you make a small donation to help us with the huge costs for this event.