Railroad Forums 

• Number 972 & 1187 at the Strasburg Railroad

• General discussion related to all railroad clubs, museums, tourist and scenic lines. Generally this covers museums with static displays, museums that operate excursions, scenic lines that have museums, and so on. Check out the Tourist Railway Association (TRAIN) for more information.
General discussion related to all railroad clubs, museums, tourist and scenic lines. Generally this covers museums with static displays, museums that operate excursions, scenic lines that have museums, and so on. Check out the Tourist Railway Association (TRAIN) for more information.

Moderators: rob216, Miketherailfan

#819607  by Lackawanna565

I was down there on the 15th and I was looking at 972 and 1187. I heard years ago that they were planning to restore 1187 to running condition. Nothing has changed the last several times I seen her. She's just sitting outside. Did they decide to abandoned on restoring her? Also, are there any plans for 972?
 #819742  by Lackawanna565

Otto Wrote: Depends, how much money you got?
Not enough Otto. I wish I had the money for those engines.
 #1019808  by indie1361

Id love to see them both restored, but the RR would only theoretically be able to use 972 to haul anything. 1187 wouldnt be able to handle the consists the RR runs these days. But maybe a rent-a-loco program, like what they were thinking about doing with CNJ 113, would work. Either way, an anthracite burning loco would be a great attraction, and only one of 2 Reading steamers operating in the world?! Railfans would flock to Strasburg!
 #1020094  by cnj1524

It was to my understanding that the 4-6-0 972 was to recieve a bellpair firebox and the 0-4-0 1187 was to be converted
to oil burner and used as a yard/switcher unit and would not require a fireman,this was atleast 5 years ago when I was
told this,I wouldn't expect any of this untill the roundhouse is built
 #1241456  by Mr rt

Strasburg ... this reply is tacked onto a very old thread, but I couldn't find any other discussion about this "Tourist line".

First, was there the Sunday after Thanksgiving with four grandchildern. We had a very nice time behind 2-8-0 #90. Also did the "diner" near the Caboose Motel.

Second, the January issue of RailPace has a page on Strasburg showing their original diesel back in operation anlong with a photo of Camelback 0-4-0 1187 which they apparently took back from the museum accross the street & intend to stuff & mount it. Well,that is better then doing nothing.

Third, anyone know what if anything is going on with LIRR 4-6-0 #39 which they recently got on a long term lease from the museum at Riverhead, LI ?
 #1254533  by cnj1524

The LIRR 4-6-0 is not on lease yet till riverhead receives 1,000,000 in donations,then rest of loco will be shipped to Strasburg for return to service
on a 48 year lease to SRR,,,972 hummmm,will be sitting there for awhile(no plans)1187 was moved to free up space behind backshop(no resto plans)
as for the lirr 4-6-0,its a long way off yet,maybe 2019 if funds are secure,you will hear many conflicting stories about 972 & 1187,1187 maybe new cab
and sheet metal for display,972's cab was sold off sometime ago,and then there is the cn 0-6-0 under full resto in backshop now(returning this year???)
 #1258146  by Mr rt

With 89, 90 & 475 available to pull trains what will 31 aka 0-6-0 be used for ... freight jobs of a few cars ?
There is a recent freight job on YouTube with, I believe 90 doing the work. About 1/2 dozen cars & #12 in the back.
I loved the run bys with that team of horses & the old car :-)

The Valley aka Essex has also done some freight run bys, but with them it is non rev :-(
The "Friends of the Valley" have restored the freight cars & a caboose.
When the caboose is tacked on they get some of the money for paint, sand paper, etc.
The "Friends" have also erected a couple of small buildings along the ROW.
So far no vandals have tagged them.

Must be some railfan $$$ doing freight runbys ?

P.S. IRM & Orange Empire got steamers running last year ...yippee
With just one at each site can't believe they will run them much because they'll run down the clock again & have nothing.
 #1305693  by Mr rt

Saturday, Nov. 29th took a ride with 89 ... 475 was also out this day.
11AM was sold out & 11:30 that we (9 of us) got on was full too ... don't think you could walk up to the window & buy tickets this day.
Railpace showed a photo of Percy, so when they do their day out with Thomas ... one train has Thomas & the 2nd has Percy.
Wonder why it took them so long to realize the kids just wouldn't understand why their (2nd) train wasn't pulled by Thomas ?