Railroad Forums 

• Altoona, PA attractions

• General discussion related to all railroad clubs, museums, tourist and scenic lines. Generally this covers museums with static displays, museums that operate excursions, scenic lines that have museums, and so on. Check out the Tourist Railway Association (TRAIN) for more information.
General discussion related to all railroad clubs, museums, tourist and scenic lines. Generally this covers museums with static displays, museums that operate excursions, scenic lines that have museums, and so on. Check out the Tourist Railway Association (TRAIN) for more information.

Moderators: rob216, Miketherailfan

#752956  by rrbluesman

My brother and I are talking about taking a trip to Altoona, I understand there are railroad attractions out there. Can someone tell me if there is anything worthwile to see and about what it would cost to see them? Thanks.
 #753135  by atsf sp

Obviously there is the Horseshoe Curve. That I believe is $7 a person, but it is worth it. There is the Railroaders museum. I'm not sure about the cost, but they have historical equiment. Buit most could be seen from the parking lot. The Altoona Juniata shops are visible from the street. These are still active NS shops so no trespassing. Galliztan has the tunnel park, with the Allegheney tunnel. Cresson has the helper station. Both Gallitztan and Cresson have inns right along the NS mainline. Then there is the Allegheney Portage Historical site, an incline RR used to haul boats over the hill.