Railroad Forums 

• Historical group websites dead and dying

• General discussion related to all railroad clubs, museums, tourist and scenic lines. Generally this covers museums with static displays, museums that operate excursions, scenic lines that have museums, and so on. Check out the Tourist Railway Association (TRAIN) for more information.
General discussion related to all railroad clubs, museums, tourist and scenic lines. Generally this covers museums with static displays, museums that operate excursions, scenic lines that have museums, and so on. Check out the Tourist Railway Association (TRAIN) for more information.

Moderators: rob216, Miketherailfan

#753399  by toolmaker

The Hudson Model railroad club in Wilkes-Barre, PA is using Facebook to list events for 2009/2010. They have posted many photo's of their layout too. You don't have to join the group to view the photo's or see the events page. A simple way to share information and keep it current.
 #753879  by mxdata

I used to think that taking down the descriptions of programs and events right after they were completed was a good idea, until I encountered the excellent event archive on the Amherst Railway Society (of Massachusetts) site (link to one page below, out of about a dozen in the archive):

http://amherstrail.org/calendar2008-09.html

A lot of railroad historical societies unfortunately overlook keeping a record of their own activities and contributions to history. Keeping a well maintained and clearly identified archive is a nice way to say "Thank You" to the volunteers who help you out.

Of course if your historical society is one of the really arrogant ones that think that railroad history is all about THEM, putting an archive under the control of your officers may just turn out to be another stage for the peacocks to strut around and display their feathers.

MX
 #754630  by mxdata

Add the R&LHS to the list of groups with outdated websites. I was looking at their site this morning and noticed that there have been no updated postings of their Railroad History Awards in the last five years! As of the time I posted this today, the most recent year for which any information is shown on their page with the listing of the awards is 2005!

MX