Railroad Forums 

• Electrification for Trolley Museum of New York (Kingston)

• General discussion related to all railroad clubs, museums, tourist and scenic lines. Generally this covers museums with static displays, museums that operate excursions, scenic lines that have museums, and so on. Check out the Tourist Railway Association (TRAIN) for more information.
General discussion related to all railroad clubs, museums, tourist and scenic lines. Generally this covers museums with static displays, museums that operate excursions, scenic lines that have museums, and so on. Check out the Tourist Railway Association (TRAIN) for more information.

Moderators: rob216, Miketherailfan

#865708  by Otto Vondrak

n2xjk wrote:Yes Johnstown #358 is the only car running now. Options for increasing passenger capacity are being discussed.
So, not to pick on you, but do you understand where my concern comes from?

-otto-
 #865741  by n2xjk

Yes. Part of the reason things are happening in the sequence they are happening is due to what the grant programs dictate. It so happens the grants we've been awarded only go to fixing or improving existing structures (building, causeway, track, etc). Since Kingston tore down its overhead in 1928, there's no existing overhead structure to fix or improve. Believe me, we're looking for ways to fund getting some wire up. Grant applications what would have helped in that area have been submitted in the past (i.e., SAFETEA-LU Transportation Enhancements under category 12) but none awarded. If the monies that've come our way so far had fewer restrictions, it's pretty safe to say it would have been used somewhat differently.
 #865818  by Noel Weaver

n2xjk wrote:Yes. Part of the reason things are happening in the sequence they are happening is due to what the grant programs dictate. It so happens the grants we've been awarded only go to fixing or improving existing structures (building, causeway, track, etc). Since Kingston tore down its overhead in 1928, there's no existing overhead structure to fix or improve. Believe me, we're looking for ways to fund getting some wire up. Grant applications what would have helped in that area have been submitted in the past (i.e., SAFETEA-LU Transportation Enhancements under category 12) but none awarded. If the monies that've come our way so far had fewer restrictions, it's pretty safe to say it would have been used somewhat differently.
What's wrong with getting some money and support from your own members? How many members do you actually have?
Have you people ever considered fund raising? In what form? Have you made any effort at private sources in Kingston or the area? I would think at least some business would benefit from this and if so have you received any help from them?
I still thing this is the wrong thing in the wrong place and at the wrong time.
Noel Weaver
 #865887  by n2xjk

You strike at the heart of the primary activities that most every non-profit board, their staff and volunteers pursue. We've done all those things in the past and will in the future.

We have one business owner on the Board, and he has donated materials and company labor for some small projects around the yard. Otherwise, local business support has been rather cool since the recession hit.

That developer with the 17 acres I mentioned above, once he awakens from his recessional nap will be the giant we need to partner with. At least 2000' of the ROW runs in front of or through their property. I serve on the Heritage Area Commission which is the lead agency for the Kingston LWRP, so I'll insure they hold to the trolley improvements that the plan requires.

As for the membership, we are overdue sending out the annual campaign, and plans are to get it mailed by the end of November.
 #937035  by n2xjk

HDR has been chosen as the firm to do the engineering, design and oversight portions of the track rehab project. This is the same firm that did the engineering study a few years ago. There will be another bid process later in the year to bring in the construction firm for the project.

We've learned that the utility plans to replace their medium pressure gas line with non-metallic in 2012. However, there is still a high and low pressure line in the street that are not being upgraded, so I don't expect much change in the planned electrolysis mitigation measures in the track design.