Railroad Forums 

• Maine Central Historical Society

• General discussion related to all railroad clubs, museums, tourist and scenic lines. Generally this covers museums with static displays, museums that operate excursions, scenic lines that have museums, and so on. Check out the Tourist Railway Association (TRAIN) for more information.
General discussion related to all railroad clubs, museums, tourist and scenic lines. Generally this covers museums with static displays, museums that operate excursions, scenic lines that have museums, and so on. Check out the Tourist Railway Association (TRAIN) for more information.

Moderators: rob216, Miketherailfan

#637976  by DaveSwan

I am interested in forming a Maine Central historical group with a website, online forum (especially helpful to modelers) and perhaps an annual get together. If anyone is interested, please cntact me. thanks.
 #651124  by mxdata

I always liked the Maine Central, but I think that anyone planning an internet based historical society should probably contact some of the folks who were central to the Erie Lackawanna Historical & Technical Society (which recently folded into the ELHS) and talk with them about the difficulties they encountered trying to get material and maintain a publishing schedule. Seriously guys, it takes just as much work to write a feature article for a historical society where it will be seen by a few hundred people as it does to write it for a major magazine where it will be seen by many thousands. For projects that require a lot of time and effort, most authors very understandably prefer the larger audience. Internet publishing has its own problems. The internet is practically a "free theft" zone, five minutes after information is posted on your website it is being reposted on somebody else's website without any credit to the original authors, and shortly after that it is being sold as CDs on eBay.

MX
 #1018455  by MEC407

Just an FYI, this idea has been discussed a bit in the past in the B&M/MEC forum.
 #1038218  by archw

I am a Trustee of Andover Historical Society in Andover NH. Our chief asset is our Railroad Museum which consists of the station building, a restored caboose, a freight shed and a freight/box car. The rails are still intact. The station was the old Potter Place Station coming up from Concord. My question is this: our project this year is to restore the freight car which is 'parked' at the shed siding. I would like to move it further down the track to make it more accessible to work on. My thought is to get the Town grader to pull it but am concerned the wheels may not turn. Is this likely? If so would they break free easily? Also do you have any advice as to how to proceed with the restoration? We know we have to strip the old paint (lead-based), then power-wash with an auto wash no-wax, then self-etching primer, then a uro primer. Who does this type of work? Any suggestions would be greatly appreciated. Thank you.