Railroad Forums 

• Connecticut Trolley Museum, Warehouse Point, CT

• General discussion related to all railroad clubs, museums, tourist and scenic lines. Generally this covers museums with static displays, museums that operate excursions, scenic lines that have museums, and so on. Check out the Tourist Railway Association (TRAIN) for more information.
General discussion related to all railroad clubs, museums, tourist and scenic lines. Generally this covers museums with static displays, museums that operate excursions, scenic lines that have museums, and so on. Check out the Tourist Railway Association (TRAIN) for more information.

Moderators: rob216, Miketherailfan

#732021  by Otto Vondrak

Tim Lesniak wrote:Over the recent years, and even visible in this discussion thread, people have viewed the Connecticut Trolley Museum as a junkyard. However, in the past few years, we have made great strides to change that and we are continuing to do so. We are trying to become more like a museum, and less like a "playground" and "junkyard".
Tim, thanks for letting us know. I'd be interested to come up and see that Type 5 in action! Please keep us updated on your museum's projects!
 #732022  by Otto Vondrak

trolleyop wrote:Adding to Tim Lesniak's list of projects above, a website redesign project is currently being discussed by the members, and all fans of the museum will be encouraged to put in their $0.02 about what the ideal trolley museum website should look like. We're looking for feedback that covers more than just how the graphics on the page should look. It's the message the site conveys, and the usefulness of the site to both visitors *and* members which is really most important.
That's great news. Your web site is your front door and make an important first impression to non-rail visitors and railfans alike.

The important points: The design should be relatively simple. You have a lot of information to share, don't get the design distract or interfere. Forget the bells and whistles (LITERALLY - NO SOUND FILES!)... let your collection and information speak for itself. If you have a lot of photos and you're not sure how to display them, consider displaying your best photos as teasers, then link to a flickr account. We used that technique on a couple of projects I'm involved in. It's a great way to share and bring more interest to your site.

For example:

http://www.berkshirescenicrailroad.org/ ... rm8619.php

links to:

http://www.flickr.com/photos/bsrm/sets/ ... 959318759/

Here's what a flickr set looks like from our museum up in Rochester:

http://www.flickr.com/photos/rgvrrm/sets/

Seashore Trolley Museum has a good site that relatively easy to use. You might want to look at their site and see what they do.

If I can help in any way, please let me know.

-otto-
 #732152  by Tim Lesniak

Otto Vondrak wrote:Tim, thanks for letting us know. I'd be interested to come up and see that Type 5 in action! Please keep us updated on your museum's projects!
Yes, be sure to come up. If you would like a tour of the property, you will need to call ahead to be sure that a tour guide is available. Over the winter break, we plan to change around our display hall, and set up display space outside under the "Train Shed" roof for the 2010 season. It is hoped to have 14 cars on display in the main display building and under the attached train shed roof.
 #732426  by Mr rt

Tim forgot to mention the two ConnCo and one Springfield Term car that also came on-line recently.
I helped out a few week-days this summer & have to agree that the place has a sicne of new life & purpose.
Also the seeds planted by the former President have starting to grow (folks brought in that weren't trolley fans).
 #732464  by Tim Lesniak

Mr rt wrote:Tim forgot to mention the two ConnCo and one Springfield Term car that also came on-line recently.
Yes. I did not mention those. The current operating fleet consists of the following cars:

Rio de Janeiro open breezer 1850
Montreal open observation 4
Springfield (VT) Terminal combine 16
Connecticut closed 1326
Fair Haven & Westville open breezer 355
Boston Elevated type-5 5645
Illinois Terminal pcc 451

Montreal closed 2600 is currently in the shop for some motor work.
New Orleans closed 836 is in the Visitor Center awaiting funds ($5000) for new wheels.
 #732702  by atsf sp

Tim Lesniak wrote:Montreal open observation 4
When I went as a child, I rode on this car and it is still a very distinct memory of mine. Its nice to see there are more cars coming back online
 #733301  by Otto Vondrak

Putting it on the record: If I can help out in a consulting role as CTM develops a new web site, let me know. My day job is web development and marketing, and if you're looking for a change, I can help.

-otto-
 #738254  by Tim Lesniak

Right now, we are getting ready for another long day at the Lake Shore Electric Parts Swap, before a 9+ hour drive home. We were very lucky in this deal because we were able to obtain a number of things that will help make cars operational. For our Shaker Heights Rapid Transit Center Entrance 1201, we were able to get a spare motor, two spare air compressors (one complete, one partial), and a fender. For our Boston/Dallas PCC 3333, we were able to get a Motor Generator Set to replace the one that is currently under the car that is fried. We also picked up a set of rear steps and a sink for our Northern Car. We did get some miscellaneous parts as well such as breakers, gongs, brake cylinders, and headlights. By default, we acquired the large wheel press and wheel boring machine (Thank you IRM.).
 #742372  by Tim Lesniak

Ongoing Projects and Accomplishments

Locomotive 1 (Diesel) - New Batteries Installed (Made Possible by a Grant from the Amherst Railway Society), Work is progressing on the fuel system.

Tie Handler TH-2 - New Key Installed in the Drive Mechanisms to Make it Operational. Currently being painted. Awaiting Hydraulic Repairs.

Line Pole Replacement Ongoing.

Northern Barn Track Replacement - Track 1 Line Spiked, Partially Gauge Spiked.

NRHS - In the process of re-affiliating with the Connecticut Valley Chapter (CVC founded the museum in 1940).

-Tim Lesniak
 #742438  by Tim Lesniak

atsf sp wrote:Is the museum still going to hold its Christmas/lights trolley ride?
Yes, CTM will be once again hosting its Winterfest! We just finished the Tunnel of Lights last night, and the model train layouts will be finished tomorrow morning. For Winterfest, we will be open Thursdays thru Sundays from Tomorrow (the day after Thanksgiving) thru December 20th. And the four days following Christmas. Thursdays we are open 6-9pm and all other days 5-9pm. Santa will be present until Christmas. Live Entertainment in the main hall and Train videos in the theatre.

Tim Lesniak
 #743144  by Tim Lesniak

Montreal Tramways car 2600 returned to public service last night after being out of service for more than 11 months due to a motor problem. More non-vital work (re-rattaning the seats, repairing doors, etc) is hoped to take place over the winter months.

Tim Lesniak