Railroad Forums 

• Connecticut Trolley Museum, Warehouse Point, CT

• General discussion related to all railroad clubs, museums, tourist and scenic lines. Generally this covers museums with static displays, museums that operate excursions, scenic lines that have museums, and so on. Check out the Tourist Railway Association (TRAIN) for more information.
General discussion related to all railroad clubs, museums, tourist and scenic lines. Generally this covers museums with static displays, museums that operate excursions, scenic lines that have museums, and so on. Check out the Tourist Railway Association (TRAIN) for more information.

Moderators: rob216, Miketherailfan

#612117  by typesix

well Gerry, from the last look I saw of it a couple of years ago, it appears to be in same condition as when Fred and Walter last worked on it, and it is weathering not well.
 #613148  by kinlock

These pictures above are great. I was a volunteer restorer/painter there lots of years ago. 8+ running cars is phenominal! Glad to see old standbys like 1326 and 836. Never saw 5645 in my life. Must have been one of those mysteries under tarps. 16 was somebody's dream. Sure looks better now. 36 and 169 are new players too. Glad to see things are looking better. Figure out how to go over sometime I would (live in Nice, France). Now the "pièce de collection" / best item in the collection is the "Ponemah". Oldest electric locomotive around. Any plans for that?

...Ken
 #613384  by Otto Vondrak

I suggest greatly simplifying the website to make it easier to read and learn about the equipment and collection and visitor experience. Just my thoughts. You guys are the best kept secret in Connecticut!
 #613394  by Gerry6309

Otto Vondrak wrote:I suggest greatly simplifying the website to make it easier to read and learn about the equipment and collection and visitor experience. Just my thoughts. You guys are the best kept secret in Connecticut!
No disrespect intended, Otto, but go there any evening at this time of year and you won't think there is any is any secret.

Their website is not the greatest, but unlike Seashore, they depend on neighbors, not tourists for their clientele. There are two large cities nearby, the largest in Connecticut and the second-largest in Massachusetts.
 #613432  by Otto Vondrak

Gerry6309 wrote:No disrespect intended, Otto, but go there any evening at this time of year and you won't think there is any is any secret.
None taken, but when I need a good reason to travel two hours and expend valuable gas money, the web site does little to encourage me- which creates a conflict in my brain, because I hear everyone saying such wonderful things. The site does little to confirm those compliments. I'm sure one of these times I will indeed head out there and enjoy their operations...
 #614693  by mparanoid

Otto Vondrak wrote:None taken, but when I need a good reason to travel two hours and expend valuable gas money, the web site does little to encourage me- which creates a conflict in my brain, because I hear everyone saying such wonderful things. The site does little to confirm those compliments. I'm sure one of these times I will indeed head out there and enjoy their operations...
I'll give you that the website is pretty poorly designed. The website looks as if it was designed in the late 90's and never redesigned since. Information CAN be hard to find at times unless you are a frequent visitor. It can be loud (both visually, and audibly), confusing and just plain ugly. The pages can change general design based on the webmaster's whim and the intro page is so 1995.

BUT... BUT.. It's update weekly just about, and sometimes more often. New photos find the front page, and 'Latest Views' page very quickly and the Online News letter is updated sometimes Tri-Monthly. The fact that it is even updated makes me happy. I've seen plenty of websites drift off into the basement of the interwebs due to lack of updates. There are plenty of static websites for museums and other organizations out there that put the most general information they can and call it done. Not the CTM website. The webmaster keeps it up to date, informative and plain amusing at times. I would not expect any more from a volunteer to be quite honest.

Usually, the lowest going rate for web design these days is $500-2000. While it would be visually nice, we would have to update it. No one volunteer at the museum has enough time to do that. And to be honest, many of the volunteers are crotchety old men (no offense intended) who if they are not too intimidated to touch a computer, usually break them when/if they do.

Would I love to have the website redesigned, maybe thrown over a CMS? Oh hell yes. I would love for it to be simple for the office lady to add time sensitive info, like if we are open during a snow storm, or update prices. I would love to have the webmaster's job 1000x easier when adding a page. I would love for consistency, order and simplicity for the visitors of the website. But I tell ya, for what the museum pays, they have a good deal for what they get.

But if you are reading this Mister Mystery Webmaster, (only like 4 people at the museum have met him. I hear he is a green haired orc...) I would be more then happy to help you redesign the Connecticut Trolley Museum's website and get it up into the 21st century. I cannot do it all, but I can absolutely throw ideas out and maybe some coding here and there.

The hell with the $0.02...that's $15.
 #702664  by Mr rt

Was operating there this past Monday.
We brought out two open cars on that hot day: 355 ConnCo & 1850 RIO
Also 1326 ConnCo is back in service, similar to Branford's 1602.
In addition their theather is in operation showing movies (transit related :-)

Sunday I was at Branford for their RT/Guest Opr week-end.
Operated RT 6688 (R-17) and 850 from New Orleans.
 #709213  by Alcophile

Here's a question about the museum. Do you have the body of a car known either as Great Gorge Route 26 or Niagara Junction T-4 (or something similiar)? It was a car used on the GGR and after abandonment it sold and became a frieght motor on the nearby Niagara Junction. After Conrail took over it went to a trolley museum in CT but the electrical equipment was removed for other cars. I heard something about it being the "Warehouse Point Trolley Museum". Can anyone help me? :(
 #711914  by Mr rt

Sorry, I'm not aware that any such car is at The Point.
Over the years cars have come & gone for various reasons, so it may have been there at some point.
 #719970  by ted_roy

The Niagara Junction car was a line car at the museum. It suffered an electical fire, gutting the the car body. The electrical parts on the car as well as the trucks were salvaged and the car was scrapped. When car 355 was originally rolled out, she rode on the salvaged trucks, very bad riding, so I have been told. So the car was placed on shop trucks and it waited for it's current trucks to be rebuilt.
 #731003  by Tim Lesniak

Over the recent years, and even visible in this discussion thread, people have viewed the Connecticut Trolley Museum as a junkyard. However, in the past few years, we have made great strides to change that and we are continuing to do so. We are trying to become more like a museum, and less like a "playground" and "junkyard". Those were two associations made when talking about the museum in the past years. The following changes were made in the past year. These are part of a series of interlinked projects that are aimed at upgrading the museum and the experience of visiting it. There are some projects occurring that are immediately visible, whereas others are behind the scenes and will be unveiled in the coming year. These projects and others are ongoing and will continue into 2010, when the museum celebrates its 70th Anniversary.

- New doors were installed on the museum's two main car barns, Kelly and Woods.

- Track is being rebuilt in Northern Car Barn. This track collapsed when cars were moved out of the barn. When the track is completed, it will add three more car bays under roof.

- A massive drainage plan is currently in the planning stages. Some work has been done to the current drainage system. This has been seen with the clearing of the debris that has clogged the drainage ditch along the west side of the property. Also, the ditch paralleling the mainline between North Road Switch and Gale Car Barn has also been cleared. This has resulted in a much drier parking area.

- Overgrowth of trees are being cleared to reclaim areas of parking lot. Most notably, the south side of the parking lot has been expanded by moving rail and line poles that were stored there. The growth was cleared away and the parking area was smoothed out.

- Boxcars and storage areas are being fitted with shelving to allow for material to be stored on shelves, instead of a knee-high pile on the floor. It is a more effective use of space with walkways.

- Since April, visitors have been invited to enjoy a 25 minute big screen film on trolley history being played in the theatre.

- Boston Type 5, 5645 has been returned to service.

Tim Lesniak
 #731403  by aline1969

Great to hear 5645 has been returned to service, even Seashore has no operating type 5's for the public right now
 #731768  by trolleyop

Adding to Tim Lesniak's list of projects above, a website redesign project is currently being discussed by the members, and all fans of the museum will be encouraged to put in their $0.02 about what the ideal trolley museum website should look like. We're looking for feedback that covers more than just how the graphics on the page should look. It's the message the site conveys, and the usefulness of the site to both visitors *and* members which is really most important.