Railroad Forums 

• HVRM GE 95-ton restoration

• General discussion related to all railroad clubs, museums, tourist and scenic lines. Generally this covers museums with static displays, museums that operate excursions, scenic lines that have museums, and so on. Check out the Tourist Railway Association (TRAIN) for more information.
General discussion related to all railroad clubs, museums, tourist and scenic lines. Generally this covers museums with static displays, museums that operate excursions, scenic lines that have museums, and so on. Check out the Tourist Railway Association (TRAIN) for more information.

Moderators: rob216, Miketherailfan

#580666  by JasonA

Nope, I have been working on our Long Island passenger car. It's posted in the LI forum, but I haven't updated the post in some time now.

Jason
 #581013  by midwest fred

Oh come on Jason, we got the battery boxes expoxy primed and painted with aviation battery box paint (acid resistant). The Fireman's side box is ready to receive the batteries. We also got all of the parts re-organized and shelved, and the batteries are lined up to go back in the loco. We just need to send in the cracked one for repair.

And yes, the LI coach is also undergoing work.....

More progress to come.

Fred.
 #582105  by midwest fred

Otto - you don't know the half of it.

Busy doesn't come close to describing it.

Bigger things on the way !

Fred.
 #595091  by JasonA

We have switched back to the GE after a short break for a major shop cleaning. I have torn much of the engineer's side rear cab supports off. This area, as well as the sand box were completely rotted. Much of the piping for the brake system has been put back in, and all of the wiring under the cab has been completed. I should have pics soon.

Jason
 #595270  by Otto Vondrak

JasonA wrote:We have switched back to the GE after a short break for a major shop cleaning.
Sorry, I'm not familiar with this term. What is a "shop cleaning?"

:-)

-otto-
 #595366  by JasonA

Yeah, I know what you mean. I simply got tired of tripping over crap and spent about a month with the pay loader throwing out stuff, giving it away, and scraping stuff. We still aren't done yet, but we have made major progress. I don't have any before pics, but here are a few after pics.

Center isle of orginal building looking east.

Center isle. The wood boxes are the new coach windows.

North isle of orginal building looking east.

Looking west.

SW corner.

The new addition. In the fore ground is our main line. Off to the right is our NKP baggage car which will come into the shop for full restoration after the GE and LI coach are completed.
 #600058  by JasonA

Now that work has slowed for me, I have spent some time back on the GE. Got the lower engineers side of the cab ripped out as it was nothing but rust.

A rare pic of myself working on the cab.

I left the old center support, but it needed to be pulled out some.

Found a use for the steam engine.

I also had to jack part of the floor up as it had settled because the supports were rotted out.

The start of the new support structure. The floor is now supported by something more than air.

We have also spent time on the wiring. Most of the gauges have been cleaning or replaced, and installed.

That's it for now.
 #600558  by JasonA

I finished tearing out the lower rear wall today.

The frame work for the new wall.

The new lower cab corner.

That's it for now.
 #603190  by BERK44

Wow! looks great. Ive restored some old trucks and cars over the years. I cant imagine how difficult restoring a locomotive is. Please keep posting. I'm enjoy seeing all of the progress you have made.
 #607365  by JasonA

More updates.

Got the back wall pretty much finished, just some welding and grinding left. Here is the lower back door, access to the reverser and some brake valves.

Here is the engineer side sand box clean out.

I also finished all of the welding on the engineer side on the lower door area.

The rear lower corner with the lower trim installed.

That's it for now. we also spent a good day on the LI coach: http://www.railroad.net/forums/viewtopi ... 1&start=45
 #608750  by JasonA

Got a little more done today.

Got the little patch on the upper cab done tody.

Started putting the wall supports back in as well.

What's left of the sub-floor on the engineers side.

The new sand box from the top.

Earlier this year we dropped a valve on our ALCO S1. I finally got around to building the stand to hold the old piston and connecting rod.

That's all for now.
Last edited by JasonA on Tue Dec 02, 2008 11:58 pm, edited 2 times in total.