Railroad Forums 

• Old Colony & Newport Railway

• General discussion related to all railroad clubs, museums, tourist and scenic lines. Generally this covers museums with static displays, museums that operate excursions, scenic lines that have museums, and so on. Check out the Tourist Railway Association (TRAIN) for more information.
General discussion related to all railroad clubs, museums, tourist and scenic lines. Generally this covers museums with static displays, museums that operate excursions, scenic lines that have museums, and so on. Check out the Tourist Railway Association (TRAIN) for more information.

Moderators: rob216, Miketherailfan

#487433  by K9MEL

Anyone in this forum active with the Old Colony ? I was a brakeman for them in the 1980's.

Thanks, Matt (K9MEL)
 #557188  by geb39-8

Yes, I am an active brakeman / asst. conductor / conductor / engineer / MOW coordinator & worker / newsletter editor (isn't everbody?)

-Matt
 #560852  by K9MEL

Hey Otto!

I am trying to figure that out myself! I have been in contact with some of the OF's down there! will let you know! I think they all have their heads in a bowl of chowdah :)
 #981089  by GE45tonner

I recently started volunteering down there! Whatta great little line. Defiantly a must see for railfans. Not just the scenery, but it is so unique. A diesel hauls too wooden coaches, which are some of the oldest in the country!
 #981362  by Ken W2KB

GE45tonner wrote:I recently started volunteering down there! Whatta great little line. Defiantly a must see for railfans. Not just the scenery, but it is so unique. A diesel hauls too wooden coaches, which are some of the oldest in the country!
Is the entire line all the way to the Sakonnet River operable? Are there ever any trains that operate that far? Been several years since I've visited the area. Thanks!
 #981396  by GE45tonner

This year they experimented with 3 runs up to the North End from Greene Lane, Middleton (not to far north from Piers Yard near the aircraft carrier). From what I heard the last two were close to sell-outs! Now I believe they will be running trains to the North End 'bout once a month starting next year. :)
 #1220462  by GE45tonner

There's gonna be a rare mileage excursion for the first time since last year up to the North End of the track, just short of the Sakonnet River. The train will be departing Greene Lane @1:00 Nov 9 for anyone interested. Should be a cool trip for any southern New England Railfans.

Tickets can be bought from http://www.ocnrr.com" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;.