Railroad Forums 

• NRHS Dues increase

• General discussion related to all railroad clubs, museums, tourist and scenic lines. Generally this covers museums with static displays, museums that operate excursions, scenic lines that have museums, and so on. Check out the Tourist Railway Association (TRAIN) for more information.
General discussion related to all railroad clubs, museums, tourist and scenic lines. Generally this covers museums with static displays, museums that operate excursions, scenic lines that have museums, and so on. Check out the Tourist Railway Association (TRAIN) for more information.

Moderators: rob216, Miketherailfan

#810420  by Steamtown Observer

Correct about the one day pass, however I know that the NPS has a program for seniors to get a yearly pass to all parks for perhaps that will cover a lot of the visitors?

I am hearing that a dues increase in the $4-$6 range will be discussed (voted on?) at the NRHS meeting on the Friday of the convention.
 #811023  by mxdata

I was looking through the schedule of events for the Scranton convention, and it is comforting to see that diesels have once again been ignored in of the seminars, despite having a stunning collection of vintage diesels now available locally including original RS3's with their 244 engines, FP7's, a vintage EMC switcher, and the two beautifully restored F3A units owned by ARHS and Tri-State RHS. So all the old fossils in the NRHS can rest at ease once again this year, nothing has been done to upset the "balance of power" in the organization or make it more attractive to those younger fans who are out trackside shooting pictures (of diesels). They will still see nothing that interests them in the NRHS or its activities, so the present members will not need to worry about the possibility of a younger group of railfans disturbing the peace and tranquility of their "retirement" home any time soon. :wink:

MX
 #811667  by tellu_whut

mxdata wrote:Hearing rumors now of more dues increases on the way.

Also heard that the upcoming convention includes only a one day pass to Steamtown NHS despite the NPS being central in many activities and the seminars.

MX
Correction: It is clearly stated in the convention registration book that admission to the seminars is free of charge.

Anyone who registered for the convention gets as part of the registration a one day pass. If people plan to visit more than one day, the $6.00 fee will probably not break anyone's bank. This is quite a bargain, considering 200 people registered for $20 in Duluth, and most others registered for $25 in Dec and January.

Steamtown Observer is correct in the NPS pass program. For $10, a senior citizen can get a lifetime pass which allows a card bearer and up to 3 adult guests free admission to any federal land that charges a fee. For $80, an adult can get a yearly pass which allows a card bearer and up to 3 adult guests free admission. For no cost, the permanently disabled can get a similar card. T

There is no ban on diesels, since they will be part of the action on all of the excursions. GP38s one day, RS3s another, and an SD50 on the third. Wednesday will feature a GE centercab diesel and a BL2. Diesels will be part of the night photo session too.

It was never claimed that Steamtown will be the center of action, but a lot of action is going on there. Convention activities are ticketed, but other activities have added to the action. A live steam group will have a display at the Trolley Museum too. Regular admissions apply there. Is that too much to ask?

After several years of reading MXData's negative comments, I still don't know what would please him. My response won't either.
 #811728  by mxdata

Yes, I am critical of the national organization for their lack of leadership and support for the chapters, and their reluctance to try anything new or different to appeal to the interests of younger railroad enthusiasts and the general public. I have also been to the meetings with the officers hosted by several of the chapters and offered my suggestions along with those offered by many others. The people who attended could pretty much see that for every suggested action there seems to be an equal and opposite reaction.

MX
 #811758  by Noel Weaver

mxdata wrote:Yes, I am critical of the national organization for their lack of leadership and support for the chapters, and their reluctance to try anything new or different to appeal to the interests of younger railroad enthusiasts and the general public. I have also been to the meetings with the officers hosted by several of the chapters and offered my suggestions along with those offered by many others. The people who attended could pretty much see that for every suggested action there seems to be an equal and opposite reaction.

MX
I can pretty much agree with MX on this one. I think the NHRS has overspent its resources and it badly needs new
leadership. I do not see this happening anytime soon. I was a member for over 40 years but the last two exorbitant dues
increases for the national organization have chased me out. I did not really want to do this but they offer no break for
those of us who are basically living on a pension. The conventions have become a gathering of the rich and I do not choose
to lend any financial support to these events. They maintain an office in Philadelphia when there are areas where they
could probably obtain space at much less cost.
There are a couple of people in the national organization whom I hold in high regard but unfortunately they are stuck with
the people who are in the top leadership positions who will just continue on as we have done for many years.
As for the future for the NHRS, I think some of the chapters that have their act together and have good leadership will
survive and do just fine, I do not think the national will, it is just a question of when. The money I have saved in dues will
buy me a couple of tanks of gas for my trips here and there.
I don't take pleasure in stating these remarks.
Noel Weaver
 #811803  by Steamtown Observer

I too left the NRHS chapter I belonged to several years ago. To me they are really a club rather than an historical society. They certainly fail the IRS requirement to provide a public benefit. That of course is up to the IRS to determine and I would rather see them take on non-profits that are really money machines for political lobbying like AARP and the Sierra Club. If the NRHS wants to operate badly and in a way that will put themselves out of business who am I to stand in their way of meeting that goal? My objection is they promote themselves to the public and the press as THE national organization representing railway preservation and history. The true preservationists are in the hundreds of stand alone historical societies, tourist railroads, museums and individuals, each doing good. I cringe every year when the NRHS convention comes along and the press finds a guy with his vest of railroad patches and hokey engineers cap as the image of preservation.
 #894843  by RAS

The NRHS is not very relevant to most of the people at trackside nowadays. The hobby has progressed, the internet discussions have diminished the influence of magazines, and the photo sites have made it less difficult to get your photography on display in public. Some of the more recent initiatives the NRHS is involved with seem like an effort to maintain their stature in a hobby where they do not have much significance any more.

RAS