Railroad Forums 

• DISNEY Railroads

• General discussion related to all railroad clubs, museums, tourist and scenic lines. Generally this covers museums with static displays, museums that operate excursions, scenic lines that have museums, and so on. Check out the Tourist Railway Association (TRAIN) for more information.
General discussion related to all railroad clubs, museums, tourist and scenic lines. Generally this covers museums with static displays, museums that operate excursions, scenic lines that have museums, and so on. Check out the Tourist Railway Association (TRAIN) for more information.

Moderators: rob216, Miketherailfan

#707061  by BERK44

Great video of the cab ride. I did that at WDW this past April. Last time I checked they suspended public cab rides at WDW.
 #708410  by metroduff

I was at Walt Disney World last week with wife and kids - steam shops tour is still suspended, so I made do with talking to a friendly engineer as she came on break [we saw several female engineers in the cab, which is encourgaing for my daughters] - but I have some questions perhaps someone could answer before we go back in a few years (if we're lucky)-

1. how often do the locomotives have a major overhaul - is it done in-house, or if not, where is it done (Strasburg?) - is it based on a given interval (mileage or years) or observation of a given locomotive's condition - and what is the typical scope of work?

2. with only two on the road for most of the day, this provides an ample spare margin, but how do they handle rescues when a locomotive has a failure and the train is stranded? Are the couplers on the pilot functional for hauling a train back into the roundhouse?

3. The engineer I spoke to said they were experimenting with sunflower oil fuel on one of the locos (Walt, I think) - anyone know how it's going?
 #708461  by Kamen Rider

in answer to #1, Disney harldy ever lets anyone do anything for them. I wouldn't be surpised if they invented the words "In house". the shop has just about everything you could need

for #2, a steam egnine breaking down to the point it can't move doesn't happen very othen there. . they probalby have a highrailer tow truck or something. they can use other trains, as the train brake is the only method of stoping.

For #3 the fleet is moving to Bio fuels. Disneyland is already using it on thier 5, but they are all smaller than the Roy O. Disney
 #736401  by ex Budd man

atsf sp wrote:What is the Pacific Electric car at MGM in Disney World?
I was at WDW in Oct.2009, I was suprised to see (or not see) the MGM logo. I'm not 100% certain but I thing the PE red car was from "Who Framed Roger Rabbit". It's actually a rubber tired mock-up, if you look closely at the movie the tracks are just silver lines on the street! :-D