Railroad Forums 

• DISNEY Railroads

• General discussion related to all railroad clubs, museums, tourist and scenic lines. Generally this covers museums with static displays, museums that operate excursions, scenic lines that have museums, and so on. Check out the Tourist Railway Association (TRAIN) for more information.
General discussion related to all railroad clubs, museums, tourist and scenic lines. Generally this covers museums with static displays, museums that operate excursions, scenic lines that have museums, and so on. Check out the Tourist Railway Association (TRAIN) for more information.

Moderators: rob216, Miketherailfan

#406235  by Launcher

I railfanned the monorails, Magic Kingdom tour railroad (3 stations), and Animal Kingdom safari railroad (2 stations). Can anyone who has experienced any of these routes comment on what kind of technology was used and what years they were built? The Magic Kingdom and Animal Kingdom trains were single track, round trip routes with trains running 5 to 15 minute headways. The tracks were rather miniature, only a few feet wide between rails. There were a few grade crossings on each of the two routes. The signal system permitted trains to run so close to one another. I don't know what our max speed was but if I were to guess I would say 15 mph on the railroads, 40 mph on the monorails.

#409507  by jnugent56

I would highly recommend the book, "Walt Disney's Railroad Story: The Small Scale Fascination That Led to a Full-Scale Kingdom", by Michael Broggie. It has a ton of information and a lot of nice photos.
 #417988  by CarGuyZM10

Launcher wrote:I railfanned the monorails, Magic Kingdom tour railroad (3 stations), and Animal Kingdom safari railroad (2 stations). Can anyone who has experienced any of these routes comment on what kind of technology was used and what years they were built? The Magic Kingdom and Animal Kingdom trains were single track, round trip routes with trains running 5 to 15 minute headways. The tracks were rather miniature, only a few feet wide between rails. There were a few grade crossings on each of the two routes. The signal system permitted trains to run so close to one another. I don't know what our max speed was but if I were to guess I would say 15 mph on the railroads, 40 mph on the monorails.
In 2004, I went on a behind the scenes tour of the Magic Kingdom railroad and the railroad was built when the park was built during the 1960's. As for the engines, they are real steam engines from a narrow gauge railroad in Mexico, from where they had just been retired. The max speed on the Magic Kingdom Railroad is 12 mph. If they go faster than that, or if they run a red signal, the train will stop, and a security gaurd will have to come and unlock the engine so it can run again. The signal system will permit up to 3 of the 4 engines to run on the line at once. If you have any other questions, just ask and I'll see what I remember from the tour.

#499523  by BERK44

I'm going to WDW in April. I'm thinking of doing the behind the steam trains tour. How long is it and how in depth do they get. Like shop tours any yards ect. How was it? Thanks. Mike.

#499526  by CarGuyZM10

BERK44 wrote:I'm going to WDW in April. I'm thinking of doing the behind the steam trains tour. How long is it and how in depth do they get. Like shop tours any yards ect. How was it? Thanks. Mike.
It was about 3 hours I think, and it was really in depth, but still fun. And it was done in such a way that even my dad, who doesn't know much about trains was able to enjoy it and understand most of it. It is definately worth doing. I'd do it again if I go back.

#499779  by conrail71

I went to Disney about 10 years ago and while driving around outside the park but still on Disney property I found their shops! It was a huge building that appeared to be where most of their fleet of vehicles are maintained. I'll have to look around and find the pics I shot of it. I remember that the monorail tracks entered the building on the upper level and there were rollup doors at the ground level for both the steam trains and their fleet of GMC RTS busses. The tracks for the steam train crossed a road at grade then split to 2 or 3 before entering the building. I would have loved to check out the facility but we were looking for dinner and didn't make it back there before we headed back home.
Mike

#499789  by conrail71

[img][img]http://inlinethumb02.webshots.com/34497/2410558800098253245S425x425Q85.jpg[/img][/img]

I found it! My memory was wrong, again. The pic is a bit dark but you can see on the left side where the trains enter the building. The Monorail enters all the way across the top level of the building. The right side is for the rubber tired vehicles. Bellow is a link to the scan if you want a better look.
http://inlinethumb02.webshots.com/34497 ... 425Q85.jpg

Mike[/url]

#499949  by BERK44

Great photo thanks. I'm booking the tour soon. I will find out if the shop tour is part of the tour.

#499964  by conrail71

Cool! Let me know what you find out about the shop complex. My wife and I are planning on taking the family in a couple of years and both of our daughters are railfans like me.
Mike

#500368  by GSC

The Disney (Florida) shops are pretty much off-limits. You need permission and passes to get near them. Insurance issues mostly.

The book on Disney Railroads isn't as accurate as it should be. In particular, (to me anyway as I have her real history) the story of the 2-4-0 #4 "Ernest S. Marsh" at Anaheim has a few glaring errors and missing info as to her history.

The operation is very professional, as you would expect from Disney. They burn propane, clean and no smell or soot, smooth starts and stops, as good as it gets. I was very impressed by the Orlando operation, I've never been to Anaheim.

#531394  by BERK44

I just took the behind the steam trains tour at Walt Disney World. it was very interesting. The tour was about three hours long. It covered the history of Walt Disney, the parks and the railroads. I will start with the trains. The locomotives four are Baldwins built between 1912 and 1928, they are three foot gauge. They were fron a railroad in Mexico hauling hemp and some passengers through the jungle. They were rebuilt in Flordia and converted to burn #2 diesel fule. They now burn biodiesel. The cabs are made of fiberglass made to look like wood. these locomotives are attractive and well maintained. These locomotives are very original with the exeption of the fule and a safety upgrades with boiler controlls and a over speed alarm and recorder. The speed is limeted to 10 mph at 12 mph an alarm sounds and the speed is recorded. A steam powered air compressor supplies air for the brakes. in the tender there is a steam generator supplying power for the lighting. Our tour took us into the shops but we were not allowed to get out of the cars. We then pulled out of the shop and were allowed to look at the locomotives as the monorails ran out overhead to start their day. We were able to get into the cab too. The car were built by the shop personell they have air brakes and period correct lighting and decoration. This tour was very informative and well worth taking. I would encourge anyone interested to take this tour when visiting Walt Disney World. :-)
 #593522  by atsf sp

Launcher wrote:I railfanned the monorails, Magic Kingdom tour railroad (3 stations), and Animal Kingdom safari railroad (2 stations).
What engines are used on the animal kingdom. I was on it but I have forgotten. Are they steam and if so what are the numbers and wheel arrangements. But if they are diesel, what are the makes and models and numbers.
 #593850  by BERK44

I dont remember the wheel arrangements. The locomotives are driven by a Perkins Diesel engine through hydraulic drives on the wheels. The steam we see is for show. These locomotives are fairly new, built by a company in England. I have Michael Broggies book. When I am able I will get more info for you.
 #593957  by atsf sp

I actually just looked up these engines. There are three running 02594, 04982 R. Baba Harpoor, and 00174. They are replicated after a 2-4-2T. They were built in 1997. They are modeled after African Eastern Star railway. From pics I found, they are ugly engines.
 #608957  by SR4501

conrail71 wrote:I went to Disney about 10 years ago and while driving around outside the park but still on Disney property I found their shops! It was a huge building that appeared to be where most of their fleet of vehicles are maintained. I'll have to look around and find the pics I shot of it. I remember that the monorail tracks entered the building on the upper level and there were rollup doors at the ground level for both the steam trains and their fleet of GMC RTS busses. The tracks for the steam train crossed a road at grade then split to 2 or 3 before entering the building. I would have loved to check out the facility but we were looking for dinner and didn't make it back there before we headed back home.
Mike
Try these links and follow the rails.

http://maps.live.com/default.aspx?v=2&F ... &encType=1

http://maps.live.com/default.aspx?v=2&F ... &encType=1