Railroad Forums 

• New Jersey Museum of Transportation - Pine Creek Railroad

• General discussion related to all railroad clubs, museums, tourist and scenic lines. Generally this covers museums with static displays, museums that operate excursions, scenic lines that have museums, and so on. Check out the Tourist Railway Association (TRAIN) for more information.
General discussion related to all railroad clubs, museums, tourist and scenic lines. Generally this covers museums with static displays, museums that operate excursions, scenic lines that have museums, and so on. Check out the Tourist Railway Association (TRAIN) for more information.

Moderators: rob216, Miketherailfan

#25371  by creeker

Hi im a volunteer at the New Jersey Museum of Transportation/Pine Creek Railroad. We are said to be one of Jersey's best cept secrets. We dont like that so im trying to spread the word to people that we are here and about what we do and a little history. We are located in Allaire State Park in Farmingdale NJ. You can get to us from exit 98 on the parkway and then following the signes for the park. The organization was formed in 1952 bye three men with one 0-4-0 steam locomotive and two home built cars. We were secound only to Edaville which was started in 1948, but with its closer in 1992 we inherited" the title of oldest continually-operating steam preservation railroad in the US. The first location was on Route 9 in Marbrolo. In the later 50's they started to lease ex. Ely Thomas Lumber Co. #6 a 36 ton shay. By 1963 the colection had grown to big for the route 9 spot so a lease was worked out with Allaire State Park and bye 1964 the last bits of the railroad were at the present location. When the RR was being moved the only way to get the Shay on the truck was to drive it up so the hole wat to the park the shay was under steam on the flatbed. Now bye this time the 0-4-0 had bin sold and it now is #4 at Disney in Ca. We have bin in operation for 52 years and are the only all volunteer R-stamp certifide shop in the US. We have 8 steam locomotives, 8 desiels, 8 pieces of passenger equipment, 5 freight cars, 4 cabosses and many MOW pieces. Our steam roster consits of #6 (aka the big 6) ex. Quincy & Tourch Lake a 1912 Baldwin outside frame 2-8-0, #26 ex. Surry Sussex & Southampton a 1920 Baldwin 2-6-2, #46 ex United Fruite Co. a 1914 Porter 2-6-0, #6 ex. Ely Thomas Lumber Co. a 1927 Lima 36ton 2 truck shay, #3L ex-Cavan & Leitrim Rwy, Ireland a 1887 Stephenson 4-4-0T, #9 ex-Anaconda Copper Co. a 1924 Porter 0-4-0T, #117 ex-Carroll Park & Western RR a 1925 Vulcan 0-4-0, and a 15" gauge 1923 Cagney 4-4-0. We have a 1942 25 ton GE #7751 e. US Army (Pearl Horbor), #39 1949 & 45 GE 1950 GE 50 tonners ex-US Steel / Kobe Steel and others. We have to passenger cars from Newfoundland Canada (dating 1902), 3 car from Ireland, and a EBT combined. Our cabosse is an ex. Central Railroad of New Jersey built in 1874 and is the oldest operating car in New Jersey at 130 years old. At this time (and for the past two years) we have bin without steam. State regulations forced our steam engines out of service, but for that same amout of time we have bin doing a complet ground up restoration of #46 (the 1914 Porter 2-6-0). We hope to have the engine running bye the end of the year but we do not promise anything. We are all volunteers and we get no money from the state. We survive on ticket sales and donations. Our track is only a 3/4 of a mile loop and it only takes 15 mins. for a trip and it only cost 3 dollers, but it is a great place to come out to. We have special events like train robberies, Santa trains and Railroaders weekend. O just in case anyone is woundering we are a 3 foot gauge operation.
Well thats it for now. If anyone has any questions please ask. I will be happy to give you an answer or find it for you.

-Eric

#31732  by Ken W2KB

Eric,

It is a fine operation. What would need to be done to the Shay and the Lady Edith to meet NJ requirements?

#33062  by creeker

Ken.

The shay needs a complete rebuiled. The Lady Edith needs a complete rebuiled as well. She was in the shop being looked over befor the mogul was for restoration, but it was desided that she wasnt the best chose to work on yet as she is a hard engine to run and maintain. So the mogul was chosen.

-Eric
Last edited by creeker on Mon Aug 30, 2004 8:59 pm, edited 1 time in total.

#34238  by Ken W2KB

Thanks for the info!

#41714  by creeker

Ex- Quincy & Torch Lake RR #6 (aka The Big 6) ,a C-25 2-8-0 outside frame built in 1912 by Baldwin, has just bin pulled out of storage and brought up to our shops to start the inspection and boiler wash of the engine befor we start the restoration on the locomotive. Once we have completed Porter #46, Q&TL 6 will be our main focus. We hope to return the 6 to operating status within 5 years of the completion of the #46 wich we hope to complete by November.

Eric
Last edited by creeker on Sat Aug 28, 2004 9:59 pm, edited 2 times in total.

#42968  by Christian S.

I believe it's www.njmt.org

#46643  by creeker

Yes thats it. Its not a great web site and it hasnt bin updated in like half a year, but thats it.

-Eric

#47523  by creeker

yea that is a good pic. That had to be around 2001 cause that was the last year we ran the #26 and i remeber the day that person came in with the vest on. (the one on the right front of the coach).

Eric

#47834  by creeker

Ok, I have heard some rumors going around that because of the resent resignation of our chairperson of the board that we are falling apart, losing are R stamp and that we are stoping work on our locomotives. None of this is true. It is business as usual. We are not losing the R stamp and work on the #46 is progressing at a steady rate and we are as steady as ever. So please, if you have heard these rumors disregard them. Thank you.

-Eric

#66591  by BEDT16RMLI

I joined in August and had fun operating the 25 tonner, I am trying to get back before the new year and with work and school it is hard. But it is an awsome place with lots of nice people, and young members unlike some of the other organizations i belong to I am not alone.