Railroad Forums 

• Wilton Scenic Railroad, NH (closed in 2006)

• General discussion related to all railroad clubs, museums, tourist and scenic lines. Generally this covers museums with static displays, museums that operate excursions, scenic lines that have museums, and so on. Check out the Tourist Railway Association (TRAIN) for more information.
General discussion related to all railroad clubs, museums, tourist and scenic lines. Generally this covers museums with static displays, museums that operate excursions, scenic lines that have museums, and so on. Check out the Tourist Railway Association (TRAIN) for more information.

Moderators: rob216, Miketherailfan

#210972  by citystation1848

It is my deepest regret to have to inform everyone that the owner of the Wilton Scenic Railroad has passed away at age 68. Stuart Draper died from a heart attack on January 31, 2006.

He will be remembered for all his contributions to the Town of Wilton, including his dream, the Wilton Scenic Railroad. Condolences go out to his family and friends.

Rest in peace good friend.

Matt

Conductor
Wilton Scenic Railroad

#214063  by citystation1848

Currently the future of the Wilton Scenic Railroad is unknown. For those that are looking for my own personal opinion if the railroad will come back for a 2006 season, I don't have any idea.

Matt

#216458  by citystation1848

As of Saturday the 18th, the Wilton Scenic Railroad train is up for sale. Asking price for the two Budd RDC's is $300,000.

Matt

Former Conductor
Wilton Scenic Railroad

#217138  by aline1969

so the railway is closing? yikes. That sucks.

#217990  by artman

crap. I was going to take it for the first time this summer

#236859  by MEC407

Article from today's Boston Globe, re: Wilton Scenic Railroad:

http://tinyurl.com/m3o5c

#310511  by artman

Well, its all over folks. According to Nashua Telegraph (registration req'd - free site)

WILTON - The last hope for a rebirth of Wilton Scenic Railroad has disappeared with news that the cars have been sold to the Newport Dinner Train in Rhode Island, where they may become part of regular passenger service.

“A lot of people are disappointed, certainly,” said Peter Leishman, owner of Milford-Bennington Railroad, a freight line that provided manpower and expertise for the excursion train during its three-year run. “I’ve already heard from merchants around town who had heard the news. . . . It was great for the downtown.”

#322008  by citystation1848

The Wilton Scenic train is on its way south. Left Nashua early this morning and is now in Gardner for interchange with the Providence & Worcester Railroad.

http://photos.nerail.org/showpic/?20061 ... 016030.jpg
http://photos.nerail.org/showpic/?20061 ... 125871.jpg

Matt

#423268  by citystation1848

Well, as of now, the Islander Touring Train has been running for about four weeks. While there's still work to be done both on the train and on publicity (no one knows its running unless they drive by it!), the train looks pretty good.

The train was repainted (keeping the BC Rail Red While and Blue), and the interior was touched up, or shall I say gutted? Almost.

BC-15 has been brightened up with the faux wood walls being painted/wallpapered. The 4 seats that were across from the galley were removed and is now occupied by the glass cabinet that was in the baggage area of BC-30 in WSRR's gift shop. This is the Islander's gift shop. While this is more visible, I believe it may be a little crowded. Other changes were the trash bins in the center of the car were removed.

BC-30 was gutted. Sitting for a year in Wilton didn't help this car as it developed a BAD leak in the roof, saturated the carpet and well, just asked to be remodeled. All the seats were removed as well as the carpet. A new carpet, tables and chairs make this car look a lot different than what anyone would remember. Add wallpaper and you'd have trouble telling where you were.

Overall while I'm still saddened that there's no train in Wilton anymore, I do have to say that the Newport Dinner Train has a nice operation in Newport and that they've done a great job of getting 15 and 30 running again and looking sharp. If you're around Rhode Island, stop by and ride the Islander Touring Train!

Photos from my visit last week:
http://www.nashuacitystation.org/railro ... ry=newport

Matt
Former WSRR conductor