Railroad Forums 

• Seashore Trolley Museum Discussion

• General discussion related to all railroad clubs, museums, tourist and scenic lines. Generally this covers museums with static displays, museums that operate excursions, scenic lines that have museums, and so on. Check out the Tourist Railway Association (TRAIN) for more information.
General discussion related to all railroad clubs, museums, tourist and scenic lines. Generally this covers museums with static displays, museums that operate excursions, scenic lines that have museums, and so on. Check out the Tourist Railway Association (TRAIN) for more information.

Moderators: rob216, Miketherailfan

#221018  by Ken W2KB

aline1969 wrote:A cab from Biddeford is about 25-30 bucks...you can always find cabs downtown biddeford or the train station/amtrak
Thanks for the info!

#221021  by Ken W2KB

The Collector at Court St wrote:It's interesting to note, the museum's first real experience with demand setting had to do to with the 3 North Shore cars.

About 10 years ago, before the South Boston barn had sides, there was a bi-yearly project called winter switching. We'd move the nice display cars from South Boston and put them in Central or Highwood for the winter. We would take "hardier" cars from the back barns and stick them in South Boston where by January, they'd be mostly covered with snow. It was usually a 2 or 3 day project.

One of those last years, Gerry O, Jack Greive and myself had to spin one of the North Shore cars around for even wear and tear. Gerry thought it would be best to use all three as a train. We got most of the way around the V.C. loop when the whole thing bound up. With a few extra notches of power, we were finally able to get it moving again. We knew we had used up some extra power, but we shocked when Gerry, who was also in charge of monitoring power usage, told us in the spring that our little bind up in the loop cost about $700.00!

That's why we watch power usage so much now and the reason for the demand alarm.
$700 is definintely a gulp!!! How much was the full bill including not only the kW demand $700 but also the kWhr energy charge? I would think that during busy times at the miuseum the energy charge would mount up considerably. Demand charges tend to be consistent from month to month, especially taking care as you do to not run more simultaneously than absolutely needed.
 #237096  by aline1969

A sad day in the msueum world and the transit industry.

Fred Perry has left us. He was a legand of a volunteer and a man with a skill that not many know. Overhead wire systems.

#238632  by stevo

there are other people that know how to do it, right?

my first time up there this year will be on the 3rd saturday of may

#251880  by StevieC48

Colllector there is no more demand alarm that sounds lol and we finally have a NEW rectifier that went on line as of 2004. And also the property Electrical Supt has went over it with a fine tooth comb. They blew a line fuse during Freddy Perry's services May 7,2006. They put the MG on line and got the train back in. I rember the last time we had a 3 car North Shore train. It was Freddy Perry's 50th birthday put on by his sons Chris and Eric. Well long story short Freddy looped the train at the visitors center in full series and was that a site. Fred thanks for 23 of learning the craft from you. No can replace you. And was wonderning if the other side has trolleys and overhaed. :(

#256992  by RDG484

Does Seashore still have P&W Bullet car No. 207? It is not listed on the roster.

I had heard that Seashore bought 3 Bullets, Nos 203, 207, and 208, with one of them providing spare parts for the other two, which were planned to run as a two-car train. No. 207 had long-wheelbase trucks to counter the problem of truck hunting at speed, and as a result was tested at an "unofficial" speed record of 100 MPH. She was also a favorite among crews for her better riding qualities at speed.

Has she perhaps been dismantled for spare parts or does she still exist?

Thanks. :-)

#257678  by citystation1848

I'm not sure where 207 is. For certain, I can say I've only seen 203. I may have a clue where 208 is. Guess I have something to do this weekend while I'm up at the Museum, locate the bullets.

Matt

#258896  by citystation1848

All right, I didn't find this out by myself, Mark clued me in where 207 is.

203 is on the North Riverside lead
207 is in the Bennett St. yard
208 is north of the shop

207 hasn't been touched for parts yet, so its still complete (I assume).

Matt

#258909  by StevieC48

Must of had enough man power on Saturday.

#260609  by jogden

you should have been there wednesday. i got there yesterday and everything was open, including the dispatchers area. everything was also wet, so it was probably open all night, and the power was off. i figured someone else must be there somewhere, but no one came along. at about 9, someone came along, Dan Howard was his name, and introduced himself and asked if i was the dispatcher. he told me he had just done the training program this year. a little after 9, Phil came along and asked where Bob was. he was not around, which meant we had no dispatcher. Dan and I had done a few things while we were waiting around, so the visitor's center loop was greased, the flag was up, etc. Phil went inside and found john. Phil's name went on the board as a starter and john was technically the dispatcher. we pulled out 838 and used that all day. eventually someone was able to reach Roger, so he came and became the dispatcher. needless to say, it was a crazy day. the talbott park loop never got greased, so we basically hoped it would be wet enough to limit squealing. it was still quite loud.

haha...never a dull day at seashore!
 #265045  by FullParallel

Hi everyone, just a quick message to let you all know I posted some pictures I took during the trolley parade this year(first time I was able to make it down). All in all a good day. PLently of penguins around to operate cars. I figured they would need me, but to my surprise, they had enough. Worked out good as I would rather have taken pictures anyway. Most of the stuff I have run already. The ones I havent I am not qualified for yet. Just as well, the shop is where I enjoy spending time most, operating is just a bonus....Enjoy the pictures & post your own if you have them, my digital has been acting up (mysterious dust spot keeps popping up) so they are the best i could do.

Steve Loitsch
http://naphotos.nerail.org/show/?byrail ... ley_Museum

#265080  by citystation1848

In character for Montreal 2...

Ils sont tres bon!

Very nice photos Steve!

Matt

#265114  by StevieC48

Exelent shots Steve mabe you can become the museum photographer LOL :-D