Railroad Forums 

• Seashore Trolley Museum Discussion

• General discussion related to all railroad clubs, museums, tourist and scenic lines. Generally this covers museums with static displays, museums that operate excursions, scenic lines that have museums, and so on. Check out the Tourist Railway Association (TRAIN) for more information.
General discussion related to all railroad clubs, museums, tourist and scenic lines. Generally this covers museums with static displays, museums that operate excursions, scenic lines that have museums, and so on. Check out the Tourist Railway Association (TRAIN) for more information.

Moderators: rob216, Miketherailfan

#182522  by stevo

but i can't go work on it so that's not very fun....i wish there was a shop worker who loved in nashua

#183405  by stevo

our main line is about 1 1/2 miles long, and we have 3 north shore things that i know about:
coach number 420
a parlor
a diner

all of them run, but we never operate them.

we also have CA&E car #434, which runs, but again, we never run it

the reason we never run these is because they are too heavy for our main line. i don't know what the weight limit is for the main line, but the cars exceed it.

#184644  by typesix

Plus the cars suck up power, gotta watch the demand meter.

#187098  by stevo

what's the demand meter?

#189571  by CRail

its the box in the top of the dispatchers desk that has the LCD readout.

ul see it say current demand, and new peak set. you DONT want to set a new peak. We get charged for the peak all day. so if the power demand jumps even for a second, we pay as though we used that much all day consistantly.

#190896  by Ken W2KB

CRail wrote:its the box in the top of the dispatchers desk that has the LCD readout.

ul see it say current demand, and new peak set. you DONT want to set a new peak. We get charged for the peak all day. so if the power demand jumps even for a second, we pay as though we used that much all day consistantly.
To clarify, you pay the demand charge for the day. The cost of the actual energy consumed, a separate charge, does not vary with the peak.

#190988  by CRail

we are charged the peak demand. if we run at 20 amps all day. and we run 3 cars at once and jump the demand to 30 amps for only a few seconds, we pay for 30 amps all day.
 #196276  by aline1969

The motor has been re-built, the coach will now run in the spring. The cost was 1k, there is a fund # 708 for any donations. This is a great 1940 Brill gem. The coach was cleaned up this year and the interior lights were all changed out.

#196780  by Ken W2KB

CRail wrote:we are charged the peak demand. if we run at 20 amps all day. and we run 3 cars at once and jump the demand to 30 amps for only a few seconds, we pay for 30 amps all day.
It is a two part rate. There is a demand charge based on the peak demand measured in kilowatts as you describe. There is also an energy charge which is based on actual energy usage measured in kilowatt hours. The two charges are calculated separately and then added together for the total bill.

Using your example, the demand charge will be calculated based on the 30 amps - the bill for demand is calculated on the instantaneous integrated peak. The energy part of the bill will depend on how long the cars are operated that day. For instance, if there is 8 hours of actual aggregate operation of the cars the energy part of the charge will be twice that for 4 hours of aggregate operation.

#201570  by citystation1848

I volunteer at IRM, and your museum is often mentioned during discussion. How long is your mainline, and how much of the North Shore and CA&E equipment is in operation?
The Museum has photos and information available on a few of the cars:
North Shore diner trailer 415
North Shore coach 420
North Shore coach 755
CA&E coach 434

Full Roster is available here for others that are interested in what other jewels Seashore has:
http://home.gwi.net/trolley/collection/

Matt
 #206152  by aline1969

Hey fans... just an fyi

Help support the Boston Trolley Meet in May. Holiday Inn Somerville, the fan trip is a bus trip or on your own to Seashore Trolley Museum.

Details can be found via NRHS or BSRA's Roll Sign.

#207067  by Ken W2KB

I see from the map that the museum is about 4 miles or so from Biddeford Airport. Is there a reasonably priced cab available to get to the Museum from the airport? It's been several years since I last visited the museum and I'm due :wink: . It's a bit over a two hour flight from New Jersey so would probably visit for the day in June or July with lots of daylight. Thanks.

#208499  by aline1969

A cab from Biddeford is about 25-30 bucks...you can always find cabs downtown biddeford or the train station/amtrak

#217875  by The Collector at Court St

It's interesting to note, the museum's first real experience with demand setting had to do to with the 3 North Shore cars.

About 10 years ago, before the South Boston barn had sides, there was a bi-yearly project called winter switching. We'd move the nice display cars from South Boston and put them in Central or Highwood for the winter. We would take "hardier" cars from the back barns and stick them in South Boston where by January, they'd be mostly covered with snow. It was usually a 2 or 3 day project.

One of those last years, Gerry O, Jack Greive and myself had to spin one of the North Shore cars around for even wear and tear. Gerry thought it would be best to use all three as a train. We got most of the way around the V.C. loop when the whole thing bound up. With a few extra notches of power, we were finally able to get it moving again. We knew we had used up some extra power, but we shocked when Gerry, who was also in charge of monitoring power usage, told us in the spring that our little bind up in the loop cost about $700.00!

That's why we watch power usage so much now and the reason for the demand alarm.