Railroad Forums 

• The long journey of LIRR RS-1 #467

• General discussion related to all railroad clubs, museums, tourist and scenic lines. Generally this covers museums with static displays, museums that operate excursions, scenic lines that have museums, and so on. Check out the Tourist Railway Association (TRAIN) for more information.
General discussion related to all railroad clubs, museums, tourist and scenic lines. Generally this covers museums with static displays, museums that operate excursions, scenic lines that have museums, and so on. Check out the Tourist Railway Association (TRAIN) for more information.

Moderators: rob216, Miketherailfan

#134414  by Lupo 10

Ladies and Gentlemen,

It is my sad duty to report that due to lack of funds and support in our fundraising efforts and over the past 2 years, Twin Forks Chapter NRHS was not able to purchase former LIRR RS-1 #467. This is the last of only 9 that ran on Long Island and is for sale in Indiana. The asking price is $20,000 however which was a large price to pay and the main reason we could not secure funds.

All of you who had donated to this cause will be asked if you would like to have your money refunded or wish to donate it to the chapter for future projects.

We want to thank everyone who attempted to save this unit with us and bring her back to Long Island. Her future is in doubt now that Twin Forks no longer has an agreement to hold her. She could potentially be scrapped but the owner has indicated he may try to sell elsewhere.

We fought a valiant battle trying to get her home but in the end we came up short. We tried to garner support from almost every museum and NRHS chapter out there nationwide. We attempted to gain funds from the public sector and the private sector. I hate to report these stories but I thought everyone who loves and appreciates the history of the LIRR would want to know. My apologies that we could not get the job done.

It is still my dream however to see this unit return to her home rails. If any organization or individuals could gain better support or currently has the funds we implore you to step forward and make this your dream. Just because Twin Forks could not gain the funds does not mean the dream has to die. If anyone is interested in starting their own campaign please email me at [email protected] and I can provide details.

I will also leave info about the unit on our website (http://www.twinforksnrhs.org)for a little while longer so you can get background info there.

Thanks for your time.
 #818406  by midwest-fred

It is my happy duty to announe that the 467 arrived at interchange off NS this evening at Thomaston IN, on her way to the Hoosier Valley RR Museum. Out of the woods and hopefully safe from scrap theives, the 467 will receive a full operational restoration and return to service. It has taken several years and a ton of money to get her moved, I think it is safe to say that she is officially "saved" with the added benefit of the company of a P72 to haul passengers in and an N22A for the photo freights ! She should feel right at home. Thanks to all that helped !

Mike
Island Rail LLC