Railroad Forums 

• Shore Line Trolley Museum, Branford (East Haven), CT

• General discussion related to all railroad clubs, museums, tourist and scenic lines. Generally this covers museums with static displays, museums that operate excursions, scenic lines that have museums, and so on. Check out the Tourist Railway Association (TRAIN) for more information.
General discussion related to all railroad clubs, museums, tourist and scenic lines. Generally this covers museums with static displays, museums that operate excursions, scenic lines that have museums, and so on. Check out the Tourist Railway Association (TRAIN) for more information.

Moderators: rob216, Miketherailfan

#121842  by Mr rt

With May comes Sat. & Sun. operations at Branford, CT

The last week-end will feature a subway car added to operation.

Extra staff will be on hand to run our "Be A Motorman" program.
So, you could join the museum and get to operate either a trolley
or subway car that week-end.

If you are a existing member this Saturday April 30th is "Member's Day".
Come pull the handles on your favorite car & lunch with friends.
You'll need to call the museum in advance if you want to buy a lunch ticket.
 #130747  by Mr rt

Saturday May 28th starts the summer season at Branford, i.e. we'll be open 7 days a week now. 10:30 Am to 4:30 PM.

This is also Rapid Transit week-end with our NYC IRT Low-V from 1924 being the subway car you can ride. Last week-end we had a group of busfans come on a tour. I opened up one of our barns so they could see our 1939 Yellow Coach. Another member opened the back of a GM old look so they could take photos.

#173914  by CSX Conductor

Is the museum open in the fall?

I would like to check it out sometime.
 #249962  by Mr rt

Branford has been open on week-ends in May, week-days start in June.

Last week-end (May 20 & 21) was the first of the RT/Guest Operator week-ends ... they occur all summer on the third week-end of the month.

Three NYC subway cars made trips.
- Saturday it was IND R-9 coupled to IRT LoV
- Sunday IRT LoV and R-17 made single trips.

We had numerios trolley & subway guest operators both days.

I operated the R-17 on her last trip Sunday before she got put away with two of my grandchildern aboard. They took turns viewing the line from my lap (can't do that in NYC).

#250175  by stevo

i've always wanted to go to that museum, but seeing as i live in NH, that's not happening any time soon.

#250314  by StevieC48

Y dint you visit Seashore lol

#251487  by Mr rt

Right, Seashore is a big place with lots of cars.

The subway cars don't come out much, but you can get someone to give you a walk thru of them (mostly Boston types).

And if you are a bus fan, they have lots of them incl. a working trackless.
 #251677  by FullParallel

Seahore's Redbirds (sorry I cant remember the exact contract number now) were out and about this past Saturday for testing of the new trolley poles & operator training. Congratulations to SteveO for requalifying. I will be posting some pictures I took on Saturday as well as some I took while operating today over at www.nerail.org later this evening.

Steve Loitsch

#251718  by stevo

i already am a member at seashore.

#256605  by stevo

so apparently for family vacation this year, we're staying at my grandparen'ts house on long island and we're doing day trips and one of the things my parents are considering is the shoreline trolley museum.

#256741  by stevo

i heard a rumor that shoreline trolley museum accepts seashore liscences...can anyone tell me if that's true?
 #256885  by FullParallel

SteveO,
I doubt that BERA would let you operate for the public down there. They might, depending on who you talk to, let you run a car with a pilot if it isnt too busy. There are two guys I can think of that are qualified at Seashore as well as Branford. If they are around you might ask.

Good Luck
Steve Loitsch

#257105  by stevo

you think i want to operate for the public??? i'm too young at seashore for that...

and of course i would want an instructor, i don't know the line at all.

and we'd be going on a weekday, so it wouldn't be all that busy, would it?

#257940  by Mr rt

Show the ticket lady your Seashore ID card & $20 on the third week-end of every month this summer & you'll get someone to pilot you on a trolley or subway car.

This week-end (6/17 & 6/18) we're useing our R-17 as the subway car.