Railroad Forums 

• Shore Line Trolley Museum, Branford (East Haven), CT

• General discussion related to all railroad clubs, museums, tourist and scenic lines. Generally this covers museums with static displays, museums that operate excursions, scenic lines that have museums, and so on. Check out the Tourist Railway Association (TRAIN) for more information.
General discussion related to all railroad clubs, museums, tourist and scenic lines. Generally this covers museums with static displays, museums that operate excursions, scenic lines that have museums, and so on. Check out the Tourist Railway Association (TRAIN) for more information.

Moderators: rob216, Miketherailfan

#540495  by aline1969

Tom, you will see a Toronto Witt while u visit...just not in Boston.
 #672514  by Mr rt

Shoreline aka Branford is open Sat. & Sun. for the season now.
May 2nd & 3rd was Guest Operator/RT week-end.
I was the Dispatcher both days.
The NYC subway cars used were: R-17 6688 & LoV 5466.
Member's Day, the Saturday before, was a big success with many unique cars coming out.
 #681957  by Mr rt

The MBTA Trackless has arrived shortly after it's fan trip in Cambridge, MA.
Branford has a small piece of O/H that it can go back & forth on, along with SEPTA 205 which is also functional.
The plan is to make a small loop arounf Barn #2.
 #682040  by sixflagscoasters

Thanks for the info.

Do you know if there is a track map of Shore Line Trolley Museum? At track map similar to the one posted on here for the Seashore Trolley Museum that some one has made.

I would like to see a layout map the shows the trolley routes, yards, barns, etc... and also the planed trackless trolley route if possible.

Thanks
-Bill
 #682935  by polybalt

Do you know if there is a track map of Shore Line Trolley Museum? At track map similar to the one posted on here for the Seashore Trolley Museum that some one has made.

I would like to see a layout map the shows the trolley routes, yards, barns, etc... and also the planed trackless trolley route if possible.

I put my map of Shoreline on my Flickr site at:
http://www.flickr.com/photos/polybalt/3629217375/

It is drawn to the same scale as the Seashore one, which is still in the same photo stream on Flickr.

I think Shoreline is one of the most interesting railway musuem sites in the country, running alongside a tidal estuary. The visitor boarding location is wonderful -- located right in the paved public roadway just like most streetcar stops were.

I recently read on this forum that the trolley bus line is planned to circle Barn 2.

Incidentally, the only Museum trolley bus line in the U.S. I know of that operates regularly is the one at the Illinois Railway Museum. It is on paved roadways and has a loop at one end and a wye at the other.
 #702654  by Mr rt

Peter,
Nice map ... it looks very accurate too ... down to the "path" from Sprague to yard (accross the loop).
Yes, the trackless will go around barn #2.
Currently poles are going up to made the turn SE of #2, i.e. the line is live from #6 to that point.
 #903509  by Mr rt

Every March the Shoreline Trolley Museum runs a class for those who would like to learn how to operate a trolley car.
This year is no exception, but time is getting short to sign up.
Their web site is BERA.org, or call the office M-F 203-467-6927

This year 948 from Atlanta comes out of the shop & joins the operating fleet:
- 357 Johnstown
- 629 TARS
- 775 ConnCo (most likely)
- 850 New Orleans
- 1602 ConnCo
- 2001 Montreal

Plus on "RT" week-ends you'll get to ride several subway cars from NYC, and 1001, the 1st PCC to enter public service.
 #930376  by Mr rt

We've just got past our first week-end of operation for the year.
It was also Guest Opr/RT week-end with R-17 6688 being the RT car,
bet you can guess who was the Dispatcher both days :-)
Atlanta 948 is now out of the shop after an extensive overhaul & restoration.

If you have been to the museum before you'll find the deck chair rearanged :-)
i.e. the displays have theams ... barn #1 the time of the PCC, includes 1st PCC in public service, a Brilliner, TARS 629, i.e. the company that couldn't afford a PCC so they did something else to refresh their fleet.
barn #3 the Connecticut Company, barn #5 (1st 2 cars out) rapid transit (a Interurban & a NYC LoV),
barn #4 (1st 2 cars our) working on the RxR (a rotary elect plow & a V plow from NJ Public Service),
barn #2 work in prograss (a couple of ConnCo cars being restored).

In a couple of weeks we'll be sponcering a antique auto show,
then Guest Opr week-end will be the 3rd one in June.
 #960149  by Mr rt

Last two Guest Operator Week-ends are Aug 20/21 & Sep 17/18.
The on-line reservation system lets you request a specific trolley/subway car.

In July we had three subway cars out both days (R-17 6688, LoV 5466, R-9 1689, El (wodden)1349)
PCC 1001 turns 75 & we're having a special event for this the 1st PCC put in public service.
It was a lot of work for the staff, but it pays the bills.
 #965900  by Gerry6309

Just wondering how Shore Line came through Irene. Hopefully she went far enough west to avoid serious damage. I love the Scenery but realize what it means when there is storm surge. Other than a lost day in late summer and a 12 hour electrical outage, Seashore fared pretty well.