Railroad Forums 

• favorite southern california railroad museum?

• General discussion related to all railroad clubs, museums, tourist and scenic lines. Generally this covers museums with static displays, museums that operate excursions, scenic lines that have museums, and so on. Check out the Tourist Railway Association (TRAIN) for more information.
General discussion related to all railroad clubs, museums, tourist and scenic lines. Generally this covers museums with static displays, museums that operate excursions, scenic lines that have museums, and so on. Check out the Tourist Railway Association (TRAIN) for more information.

Moderators: rob216, Miketherailfan

#1143631  by trainfan

I was driving through Carson City, Nevada, this summer and noticed the Nevada State railroad museum along the road. I had some time and stopped, and really liked it. If you get the chance to go there, do it. The back building with the trains is the best.
Anyway, I was wondering if there are any off-the-beaten track or hole-in-wall railroad museums in Southern California that anybody recommends, and why.
Thanks in advance!
 #1143961  by n2xjk

Well, its neither very far off a beaten path nor a hole in the wall, but I'd put Orange Empire at the top of any list of must-see RR museums in the area.
 #1144055  by trainfan

n2xjk wrote:Well, its neither very far off a beaten path nor a hole in the wall, but I'd put Orange Empire at the top of any list of must-see RR museums in the area.
Thanks for the suggestion. I just googled it to find out where it was, and see they have a "steam weekend" coming up. It looks like a great place, but it's on the other side of LA from me, so I'm not sure how soon I'll get there. Thank for the suggestion!
Any other suggestions?
 #1365304  by chepp

This thread is several years old, but is still relevant. OERM and the Lomita Museum are definitely worth visiting. One obscure, but definitely worth visiting, railroad museum is on the ground floor of the ex-Santa Fe depot in San Bernardino. It's on 3rd St. a few blocks west of the I-215 freeway. Usually open from 10 a.m. to 3 p.m. on Saturdays, it has a large collection of anything that could be displayed indoors from signals, speeders, dispatcher's panel, models, dining car china, and so on. Best of all, it's free (but donations are appreciated and they have a well-stocked gift shop for RR-related items and books). For more info, see:
http://www.sbdepotmuseum.com/overview/.