Railroad Forums 

• New York and Long Branch, NY&LB in HO

• Discussion related to everything about model railroading, from layout design and planning, to reviews of related model tools and equipment. Discussion includes O, S, HO, N and Z, as well as narrow gauge topics. Also includes discussion of traditional "toy train" and "collector" topics such as Lionel, American Flyer, Marx, and others. Also includes discussion of outdoor garden railways and live steamers.
Discussion related to everything about model railroading, from layout design and planning, to reviews of related model tools and equipment. Discussion includes O, S, HO, N and Z, as well as narrow gauge topics. Also includes discussion of traditional "toy train" and "collector" topics such as Lionel, American Flyer, Marx, and others. Also includes discussion of outdoor garden railways and live steamers.

Moderators: 3rdrail, stilson4283, Otto Vondrak

#916269  by ppbhist

Here's a brief construction update on my HO New York and Long Branch line along the Jersey Coast.

Construction of the first half of the layout benchwork is now completed (lower and upper level) with trackwork commencing on the upper level off the helix. The second half of the layout is waiting for a kitchen renovation right above it to be undertaken sometime in the next year. Until then, I have a lot of work ahead of me on what is already done.

The LED lighting has worked out really well (see below) and I hope to have operations on both levels under way in the next few months.

You can check the current progress at http://mysite.verizon.net/nyandlb/const ... gress3.htm.

#916344  by ApproachMedium

I wonder how much to daylight they really are? I know one of the issues with LEDs is there is no true white LED, you need to mix red green and blue LEDs to actually get all of the colors in the light spectrum projected, since a white LED is actually either a blue or amber LED chipped to make it look close to white
 #916692  by ppbhist

ApproachMedium wrote:I wonder how much to daylight they really are? I know one of the issues with LEDs is there is no true white LED, you need to mix red green and blue LEDs to actually get all of the colors in the light spectrum projected, since a white LED is actually either a blue or amber LED chipped to make it look close to white
It's interesting that you brought that up. When I purchased the first 16 foot length of strip led's back in 2009, they were advertised as having a color temperature of around 5500 degrees Kelvin, which happens to be around the same color temperture as full sunlight. When I installed them, the effect was perfect to my eyes. Then I purchased a couple more lengths of the exact same LED strips from the same manuf. and guess what....they had a very slight shift to the blue side of the spectrum with a color temperature rating of around 6000-6500 degrees K. Not enough of a difference to make me rip out the first string of lights, but you would notice the slight variation if it was pointed out. Now, EVERY so-called white led lighting strip out there is being manufactured and sold as having a color temp. in the 6-7000 degree K range, much like the chroma fluorescents. These have a very very slight blueish tinge. Maybe it was too expensive or too difficult to get the output color the same as a 'true' white in a non-RGB chip.

All that aside, the bottom line is that the led's look great and should look even better once I get rid of all the pink ground and stark blue backdrops. At about 200 watts total power consumption for one half of the layout, double decked, you can't beat the electric savings over anything else available such as fluorescents or cfl's. Not to mention the insanely even lighting ( barring any obstructions such as pipes along the ceiling).

Jerry
 #931519  by ppbhist

I'd like to thank all of my fellow modelers who showed their support for my wife and myself over the past several weeks. It means a lot to me and helped me get through this difficult time in my life.

My Mary is in Heaven now, but she is gently nudging me toward the basement to continue my work on the NY&LB line. She was my biggest fan, despite the countless trips to Home Depot where she would make snoring sounds while tagging along after me in the lumber dept., or when I would present her with modeling-related bills, sometimes beyond our means, which she would just say "if it makes you happy". God Bless her!

I'm ready to resume layout contruction and will also resume the updates on the web site in the next few weeks. It's just me and our beagle Abigail now, but Mary will always be looking over my shoulder cheering me on. I plan to eventually dedicate the layout to her when it's finished.

Thanks again for all of your support my friends!

Jerry
 #931827  by ApproachMedium

Jerry,

With my deepest sympathies I am very sorry to hear about your wife. May god give you the strength to move on and the spirit of your wife be there beside you as you complete your project!
 #931830  by ns3010

Jerry, I am so sorry to hear about Mary's passing. You and she have been in my prayers since I first saw the news on your website. She is definately in a better place, and will continue to be your cheerleader in your modeling and other life ambitions.
 #959905  by ppbhist

Hello all,

I've resumed construction on my NY&LB line after taking some time off to regroup and decide where to go next with the layout. Progress will pick up as summer winds down and I plan to get trains running on both decks this fall.

I also updated the web site which you can see here. Thanks everyone!

Jerry
 #961566  by Otto Vondrak

ppbhist wrote:I've resumed construction on my NY&LB line after taking some time off to regroup and decide where to go next with the layout.
Jerry, welcome back! Glad to see updates... Keep doing what you enjoy! And thanks for sharing updates with us.

-otto-
 #983584  by ppbhist

Hi everyone. Verizon pulled a fast one on me recently so I had to find a new web site host for my NY&LB construction site. You can find it at http://www.NYandLB.com. The old site is in limbo and I can't even delete it, let alone modify it! What a kick in the butt!

I'll admit that that I'm still trying to get back into the mrr groove but I have been doing some work on the layout. My days off have been spent taking care of the house and minding my college-age daughter instead of modeling work but that is gradually changing as I write this message.

I'm still working on debugging some track issues and at times feel like tearing apart what I've built. So far, cool heads have prevailed and the various issues have been resolved. Stay tuned.........

Jerry
 #984620  by N-Trizzy2609

Lovely website Jerry. I must say, even though 50's isn't my favorite era, I like this layout a lot because it show how vast Monmouth County was. Today we have what? Two freight lines and commuter line? Shame. I can't wait to see how Matawan is replcated. I'm too young to remember the old-old station but I do remember the intermediate white one between old and new station while it was opened. By all means, take your time and enjoy building.
 #1005645  by ppbhist

Just a little update on the progress of my HO New York and Long Branch construction.

I finally installed the final section of track on the first half of the double-deck layout. This was a code 70 section of flex track in the Neptune Yard and I'm now starting the wiring and turnout control installations.

You can check out the latest construction log at my NY&LB web site. This is a new link since my old site has been shut down. Can't wait to start digging into some scenery work on the upper deck.

Jerry