Railroad Forums 

• Lima TGV Train, do i need a different power supply for USA?

• Discussion related to everything about model railroading, from layout design and planning, to reviews of related model tools and equipment. Discussion includes O, S, HO, N and Z, as well as narrow gauge topics. Also includes discussion of traditional "toy train" and "collector" topics such as Lionel, American Flyer, Marx, and others. Also includes discussion of outdoor garden railways and live steamers.
Discussion related to everything about model railroading, from layout design and planning, to reviews of related model tools and equipment. Discussion includes O, S, HO, N and Z, as well as narrow gauge topics. Also includes discussion of traditional "toy train" and "collector" topics such as Lionel, American Flyer, Marx, and others. Also includes discussion of outdoor garden railways and live steamers.

Moderators: 3rdrail, stilson4283, Otto Vondrak

#498904  by artmustel

Hello. I am a newbie in this hobby and I've been given a LIMA TGV N scale train. Since I've read this set was manufactured in Europe, I'm wondering if I need a different power supply (I am in USA, and the two trains I'm currently running are Lifelike.) Does the LIMA TGV needs an specific power supply made for Europe, or the ones made for USA are ok to use? Please help...I don't want to ruin this nice set. Thanks!

#500349  by Tadman

Art, you're thinking of a different Lima. This is the Lima brand of full-size and fully functional locomotives built in Lima, OH, such as the Southern Pacific GS-4 series, which is arguable their most famous product. You're thinking of a model building company named Lima, I believe. You might want to post this in the model forum.

#502096  by Petz

@artmustel, you can use any american power supply up to a secondary current of 12 - 14 volts DC you own.
The reason Lima voted for a different power supply is the fact that in Europe we have a primary current off 230 - 240 volts AC and in the US you got "only" 110 - 120 volts AC and different plugs so an european power supply would bring too less secondary current.
On the other side i have to use pre - transformers when using the geniuos MRC - Tech2 power supplies here in Europe.