Railroad Forums 

• Northwest Short Line Closing

• Discussion related to everything about model railroading, from layout design and planning, to reviews of related model tools and equipment. Discussion includes O, S, HO, N and Z, as well as narrow gauge topics. Also includes discussion of traditional "toy train" and "collector" topics such as Lionel, American Flyer, Marx, and others. Also includes discussion of outdoor garden railways and live steamers.
Discussion related to everything about model railroading, from layout design and planning, to reviews of related model tools and equipment. Discussion includes O, S, HO, N and Z, as well as narrow gauge topics. Also includes discussion of traditional "toy train" and "collector" topics such as Lionel, American Flyer, Marx, and others. Also includes discussion of outdoor garden railways and live steamers.

Moderators: 3rdrail, stilson4283, Otto Vondrak

#1503603  by mp15ac

I just read the following on the Northwest Short Line Facebook page:
This is the post I don’t want to make but the time has come. I just can’t do this without Lynda. Following is the notice I sent to all the magazines.
=======
After 60 years in business, NWSL will cease operations effective August 30th, 2019. The company will continue to take orders for in-stock products until July 1st, 2019. Closure is for personal reasons and sale of the business is not anticipated, although reasonable proposals will be considered.
I hope that someone can be found to buy the company. The hobby really needs the products they have produced.

Stuart
 #1503915  by JamesRR

mp15ac wrote:I just read the following on the Northwest Short Line Facebook page:
This is the post I don’t want to make but the time has come. I just can’t do this without Lynda. Following is the notice I sent to all the magazines.
=======
After 60 years in business, NWSL will cease operations effective August 30th, 2019. The company will continue to take orders for in-stock products until July 1st, 2019. Closure is for personal reasons and sale of the business is not anticipated, although reasonable proposals will be considered.
I hope that someone can be found to buy the company. The hobby really needs the products they have produced.

Stuart

Horrible news. They were a unique entity in this hobby. Not just their amazing selection of wheels, but their self-propelled trucks that were essential for anyone doing m.u. trains needing replacement motors.
 #1503999  by CNJ999

Yes, sad to hear. I saw this posted elsewhere several days ago. Unfortunately, I'd be quite surprised to see someone truly suitable buy the company and continue the business. Unlike in years now long past, far fewer hobbyists tinker with/rebuild their equipment - if something breaks now, they just buy another new example. Any buyer of Northwest Short Line would probably have to be making the purchase as a labor of love, not for profit reasons.

Years ago the hobby hosted quite a number of specialized after-market companies offering kits and parts for rebuilding/modifying your locomotives. Kemtron always topped my list. For a time they even offered an instruction guidebook (I still have mine) on how to modify existing marketplace locomotives into highly super detailed examples, or even alter them completely to create unique new models through the use of their extensive listing of parts and even whole kits for the purpose! But the hobby moved on and such approaches have faded away.

CNJ999
 #1513840  by WWIIREBEL1

I was admittedly saddened by the news as is. But i at least know that even though they will be gone ,there is still one supplier left(that i'm aware of) that can fill the gap till someone either takes it over for a restart or a new supplier comes around. The coach yard...they still make self powered trucks for diesels and the various MU's that use a 36" wheel (4 and 6 axle steups). I seen recently, that Walthers has some new ones in stock ,if anyones interested.