Railroad Forums 

• Next Walthers Name Train

• Discussion related to everything about model railroading, from layout design and planning, to reviews of related model tools and equipment. Discussion includes O, S, HO, N and Z, as well as narrow gauge topics. Also includes discussion of traditional "toy train" and "collector" topics such as Lionel, American Flyer, Marx, and others. Also includes discussion of outdoor garden railways and live steamers.
Discussion related to everything about model railroading, from layout design and planning, to reviews of related model tools and equipment. Discussion includes O, S, HO, N and Z, as well as narrow gauge topics. Also includes discussion of traditional "toy train" and "collector" topics such as Lionel, American Flyer, Marx, and others. Also includes discussion of outdoor garden railways and live steamers.

Moderators: 3rdrail, stilson4283, Otto Vondrak

#1493755  by NJTRailfan

Hello, So far I haven't heard much about the next name train. I've heard quite a few folks hoping for the Southern Crescent. I would love if a Lackawanna/Erie Lackawanna Phoebe Snow came out or the Lake Cities. But if Walthers really wants to impress and throw a curve ball then perhaps the CNJ Blue Comet Train could be done?
 #1493798  by Backshophoss

The Phoebe Snow and Blue Comet are well known in the Eastern US,but not on a "National basis".
Walters will always go for a "Named Train" known across the US and internationally.
Most of the Eastern Named trains are not Nationally well known, Walters has already done the 20th Century Limited and Broadway Limited.
The SR "Southern Crescent" inte past had a sleeper that was passed on to SP's Sunset Ltd at New Orleans to LAUPT,
known as the "Trancontintal Sleeper",this was the way "SnowBirds" went to Phoenix Az or Winterhaven Ca,next to Yuma Az
This lasted into Amtrak's takeover of the Crescent years after A-Day as SR opted out.
the Transconn sleeper was done after the Sunset Ltd went to Superliner equipment.
 #1493954  by CNJ999

I can not imagine Walthers ever tackling one of the (semi) famous named trains of the East. In nearly every case, what limited fame these trains garnered came during the steam-era with their consists generally being pulled by massive steam locomotives each unique to their particular road. Walthers likes to use F's or FP's on its named trains because the engine shells can be re-used over and over by mainly just changing the shell's paint scheme for various trains. The famed eastern steamers were all virtually unique to themselves and if attempted would have to be individually tooled from the ground up and sold at brass prices to justify such tooling.

At the same time, save for those of the NYC and PRR, most of the eastern named trains like the CNJ's Blue Comet and Queen of the Valley, RDG Crusader and King Coal, NH Comet and Shoreliner, LV Black Diamond and John Wilkes, B&M's Flying Yankee, plus many others of their ilk, plied only short runs and drew little national attention of the sort that the semi-transcontinental trains garnered. As such, their market today would be vanishingly small and the corresponding selling price would likely be several thousand dollars per full set (locomotive and cars) if accurately rendered.

Perhaps the final nail in the coffin for such an idea as Walthers considering an eastern named train as a future venture is the fact that most of the really famous eastern named trains' locomotives, and in more than a few cases the entire trains consists, have already been rendered in brass. I can not imagine a plastic versions drawing much of any sales if one could obtain the brass sets for the same, or even a somewhat lesser, price.

CNJ999
 #1494046  by NJTRailfan

Thank you. Wishful thinking I suppose but as some have said "Stranger things have happened in the industry." So far the only chatter I've heard is the Southern and perhaps Louisville and Nashville Fans pushing for respective Name Trains to be done. I figure the Crescent would be next as the folks down South would not only have the fan base but money and it would sell well. Don't know any L&N Name Trains. With Phoebe Snow and Lake Cities since those were operated with E and F Unites I figured there was a chance to release the Lackawanna and Erie Lackawanna Versions of Phoebe Snow, Lake Cities and possibly perhaps do some Erie Paint Jobs as well since the latter roads not only serviced the Northeast but Midwest into Chicago. Please not another UP, SF, PRR, NYC, I know they're popualr but I would love to see other road names get a chance too. I'm afraid you are right on the CNJ.
 #1494088  by Backshophoss

The waay outside chance would be IC's City of New Orleans, known thru a song of the same name,authored by Arlo Guthrie.
 #1494133  by Marty Feldner

Backshophoss wrote:The waay outside chance would be IC's City of New Orleans, known thru a song of the same name,authored by Arlo Guthrie.
Authored by Steve Goodman; Arlo had the best-known version of it.
 #1499005  by Amtrak207

For a bit I have found it rather odd that Walthers did not announce a 2019 named passenger train this time around. A colleague who went to Amherst and spoke with a Walthers rep in regards to this, revealed no definitive answers either. Not to stray too far off topic here but it seems that Walthers has lost interest in passenger equipment (I haven't seen too many (if any) new offerings in their "Proto" series line, just Mainline.

It seems years ago, Walthers was at the front of passenger equipment, especially Amtrak. I don't get their marketing either, they'll announce Phase IV RPO cars for Amtrak, yet not do a prototype Phase III 10-6 in their Proto line.

Am I nitpicking? Perhaps but sadly it seems Walthers has changed their direction (and marketing) with a lot of things. I hope I am wrong and we will see a 2019 Name Train, but sure doesn't seem that way.

Tom
 #1499087  by mcgrath618

Amtrak207 wrote:For a bit I have found it rather odd that Walthers did not announce a 2019 named passenger train this time around. A colleague who went to Amherst and spoke with a Walthers rep in regards to this, revealed no definitive answers either. Not to stray too far off topic here but it seems that Walthers has lost interest in passenger equipment (I haven't seen too many (if any) new offerings in their "Proto" series line, just Mainline.

It seems years ago, Walthers was at the front of passenger equipment, especially Amtrak. I don't get their marketing either, they'll announce Phase IV RPO cars for Amtrak, yet not do a prototype Phase III 10-6 in their Proto line.

Am I nitpicking? Perhaps but sadly it seems Walthers has changed their direction (and marketing) with a lot of things. I hope I am wrong and we will see a 2019 Name Train, but sure doesn't seem that way.

Tom
To your point, it now seems that Bachmann has a sort of sem-exclusive license with Amtrak to produce passenger equipment.