Railroad Forums 

• IHC M518 Locomotive Question

• Discussion related to everything about model railroading, from layout design and planning, to reviews of related model tools and equipment. Discussion includes O, S, HO, N and Z, as well as narrow gauge topics. Also includes discussion of traditional "toy train" and "collector" topics such as Lionel, American Flyer, Marx, and others. Also includes discussion of outdoor garden railways and live steamers.
Discussion related to everything about model railroading, from layout design and planning, to reviews of related model tools and equipment. Discussion includes O, S, HO, N and Z, as well as narrow gauge topics. Also includes discussion of traditional "toy train" and "collector" topics such as Lionel, American Flyer, Marx, and others. Also includes discussion of outdoor garden railways and live steamers.

Moderators: 3rdrail, stilson4283, Otto Vondrak

#1487932  by jrmagic

My neighbor brought me a HO IHC Mogul Premier New York Central #M518 (oil) 2-6-0 Locomotive and asked if I could find out something about it. I am a AF guy and know nothing about this loco. Told him I see what I could do.

The couple trains I see online are #1905. This locomotive is a #1840 and has a silver front at the headlamp. Second thing I noticed different is the box has no UPC barcode on it. Inside the end flap is, I assume, a mfg. date 15-10-1996. What exactly has he given me to research? Without a UPC code, is this a Promo of some type?

Reaching out to you IHC experts. ANY info is appreciated!
 #1488016  by Backshophoss

Most of AHM/IHC models was made in Europe,some was made in Italy,some was made in Yugoslavia.
Mostly Ho/OO scale models were made,did dabble some in N scale.
That engine may have been done by Rivarossi an Italian Company,now owned by Hornby an UK based manufacturer.
Production records may have been destroyed/lost due to reported fires/bankruptcy in the past.

AHM/IHC was an importer of these models,based in the New York Metro area,history gets a bit murky in the '90's.
Believed to have gone "belly up" (bankrupt) and faded away.