Railroad Forums 

• Atlas AEM-7

• Discussion related to everything about model railroading, from layout design and planning, to reviews of related model tools and equipment. Discussion includes O, S, HO, N and Z, as well as narrow gauge topics. Also includes discussion of traditional "toy train" and "collector" topics such as Lionel, American Flyer, Marx, and others. Also includes discussion of outdoor garden railways and live steamers.
Discussion related to everything about model railroading, from layout design and planning, to reviews of related model tools and equipment. Discussion includes O, S, HO, N and Z, as well as narrow gauge topics. Also includes discussion of traditional "toy train" and "collector" topics such as Lionel, American Flyer, Marx, and others. Also includes discussion of outdoor garden railways and live steamers.

Moderators: 3rdrail, stilson4283, Otto Vondrak

#1485371  by glennk419

I recently purchased two of the latest release Atlas AEM-7's in the "Reading" fantasy scheme, one Gold and one Silver. As with previous versions, they are beautifully decorated and run extremely well. I was actually quite pleased that they numbered them in the SEPTA numbering range as if they were retro repaints and intend to run them with my SEPTA Bomber cars. However, to my disappointment, the pantographs are of a new design which, while looking somewhat more prototypical, are extremely flimsy and worthy of nothing more than static display. They barely hold position when raised and are impossible to run under wire. The older Atlas AEM-7 pantographs worked very well. Has anyone else noticed this issue?

I will be contacting Atlas on this as I do not feel that i should have to spend another $50 on parts for two brand new engines
 #1485470  by Backshophoss

Those pans are plastic? and cannot be used to get power from the wire?
 #1485539  by glennk419

Backshophoss wrote:Those pans are plastic? and cannot be used to get power from the wire?
The pantographs are metal and do have the capability to draw power from wire. There is a mode switch which is accessed by removing the locomotive body.
 #1486077  by steemtrayn

I suppose they are the same pans that are on the ALP45DP. It must be fully raised or locked down, since the legs don't equalize. Useless under wire.
 #1486080  by glennk419

steemtrayn wrote:I suppose they are the same pans that are on the ALP45DP. It must be fully raised or locked down, since the legs don't equalize. Useless under wire.
The ALP45DP pans are non-functional and are not sprung. The new AEM-7 pans are sprung but do not maintain symmetry when raised.