Railroad Forums 

• HO model railroad builders

• Discussion related to everything about model railroading, from layout design and planning, to reviews of related model tools and equipment. Discussion includes O, S, HO, N and Z, as well as narrow gauge topics. Also includes discussion of traditional "toy train" and "collector" topics such as Lionel, American Flyer, Marx, and others. Also includes discussion of outdoor garden railways and live steamers.
Discussion related to everything about model railroading, from layout design and planning, to reviews of related model tools and equipment. Discussion includes O, S, HO, N and Z, as well as narrow gauge topics. Also includes discussion of traditional "toy train" and "collector" topics such as Lionel, American Flyer, Marx, and others. Also includes discussion of outdoor garden railways and live steamers.

Moderators: 3rdrail, stilson4283, Otto Vondrak

#1471733  by epspsy

I am looking for a reliable company in the New York area that constructs model railroads in private homes. We have a 300 Sq. foot space to fill. Seems most of the outfits on Google search are in the Midwest or West.
Would appreciate responses or specific info. I want to rebuild an existing layout.
 #1471764  by CNJ999

There are a couple of well known layout-building commercial firms in the New York area, Dunham Studios probably being the best known. But before you seriously entertain the idea of having a layout built, be aware that such work definitely does not come cheap. These folks normally will contract only for a specific minimum layout size, but your figure of 300 sq. ft. not only seems sufficient it may actually be excessive, unless money is no object for you. Just to give you a rough idea, the typical base price for a "small" complete layout (i.e. 50-75 sq. ft.) used to run around $15,000 to $20,000 , but that was maybe half a dozen years back. Personally, I find sums like that kinda rich for my blood, thank you. :wink:

CNJ999
 #1471990  by Railjunkie

An example from Dunhams, a small layout 15x10 with NCE DCC scenery stock structures back drop and an enclosed finished base and thats it. $27,500.00 Ill assume delivery and set up are included.
 #1480408  by toptrain

*DO IT YOURSELF. learn from your mistakes. Build your world, a bit at a time. This world we live in isn't perfect. Maybe you can make one. If your 300 sq' is the interior of a walled room 20 X 15, that's a ok room for Ho scale and for N scale a big layout.Here is a project of mine. A part of a terminal depot that is being made from info found on two old maps, 1841 and 1848 maps of the NJRR&TCo depot in Jersey City. I am modeling this building as seen in a lithograph on the 1841 map. Being as no one has ever made this depot. As bad as mine is, it will be the best model of this depot ever made.
* By no means am I trying to scare you off, but the opposite trying to get you to try something. Get started. Everything you do will be the best you've ever done. No one that cares about you will ever see anything but a Rembrandt. In this hobby people support and encourage what you do. Your the artist, and the builder.
* I do hope someday one of those modelers capable of making museum quality models will want to make this lost to time old Depot. I truly hope my work will encourage them.
* So now get off your butt and make something
IMG_3350 - S.JPG
IMG_3350 - S.JPG (188.45 KiB) Viewed 3707 times
IMG_3349 - S.JPG
IMG_3349 - S.JPG (195.92 KiB) Viewed 3707 times
 #1480457  by epspsy

The cost cited by one of the "professional" builders for his concept was frankly as nonsensical as it was exorbitant. I thought after that using Mianne bench work might help with the rebuild, but the order was canceled after waiting 3 weeks for a response as the owner was busy traveling. I saved $700.00

So I have commenced my rebuild, as I have done at least a half dozen times over the past 50 + years. Bench work is up, 3 ovals are laid, and now I am figuring out step by step what this latest outcome will be. My process is slower but more precise. Having the right tools, like a new miter saw makes a big difference.
The fun is back - in the creative process.

EPS