Railroad Forums 

• Any Help regarding the Make and Year of this Mikado?

• Discussion related to everything about model railroading, from layout design and planning, to reviews of related model tools and equipment. Discussion includes O, S, HO, N and Z, as well as narrow gauge topics. Also includes discussion of traditional "toy train" and "collector" topics such as Lionel, American Flyer, Marx, and others. Also includes discussion of outdoor garden railways and live steamers.
Discussion related to everything about model railroading, from layout design and planning, to reviews of related model tools and equipment. Discussion includes O, S, HO, N and Z, as well as narrow gauge topics. Also includes discussion of traditional "toy train" and "collector" topics such as Lionel, American Flyer, Marx, and others. Also includes discussion of outdoor garden railways and live steamers.

Moderators: 3rdrail, stilson4283, Otto Vondrak

#1449605  by umtrr-author

I'm going to make a wild and probably uninformed guess that it is from Mantua. The headlight in the middle of the front is my clue-- that was a common feature to several locomotives.

An additional straight-on shot of the entire length of the loco, including the tender, would be helpful.
 #1449630  by Backshophoss

Might have been made in the early '60's,check for "casting rot"(aka "zinc pest") as you strip the paint off,the footboards on the pilot
and tender will be fragile,so handle shells carefully.
If you intend to install a DCC decoder,you might want to remotor the loco with a motor from NWSL,as the "Pittman" type motors
of that era can draw over 1 amp.
You will need to degrease and cleanup the drive mech and the frame as well.
Good Luck and take your time on the restoration.
 #1451121  by mcgrath618

Update on this one: I did some digging around and I actually found the box this thing came in. It's a '51 John English, with the instruction manual included.
I also have it running pretty steadily now. It has some power to it still, but I am considering repowering it. Will definitely paint it, add a smoke unit, add PRR decals, etc