Railroad Forums 

• G Scale CTC Signalling System

• Discussion related to everything about model railroading, from layout design and planning, to reviews of related model tools and equipment. Discussion includes O, S, HO, N and Z, as well as narrow gauge topics. Also includes discussion of traditional "toy train" and "collector" topics such as Lionel, American Flyer, Marx, and others. Also includes discussion of outdoor garden railways and live steamers.
Discussion related to everything about model railroading, from layout design and planning, to reviews of related model tools and equipment. Discussion includes O, S, HO, N and Z, as well as narrow gauge topics. Also includes discussion of traditional "toy train" and "collector" topics such as Lionel, American Flyer, Marx, and others. Also includes discussion of outdoor garden railways and live steamers.

Moderators: 3rdrail, stilson4283, Otto Vondrak

#1415421  by Conrail6467

Hello, I'm looking for some help. I am trying to install a CTC Signal system for my G scale layout in my basement using the CATS System used by Nsmodler24 on YouTube. I want to have something similar, but the Digitrax occupancy detectors can only allow a max of 3 amps of current draw from the track. I usually pull 20-25, so that would fry that detector. Is there any track occupancy detectors compatible with Digitrax products that could withstand that kind of amperage? Is there a way to stillu use the Digitrax BDL168? I'm at a loss. Anything can help. Thanks!
 #1415498  by ctclark1

Sounds like cube relays are in order. The coil currents should be well under 3 amps, the only problem is higher amperage contact ratings can be somewhat more expensive, usually once you get above 10. If you get 10A Double Pole relays you could "share" the load between the two sets of contacts and potentially get up to 20A, but if you can you're better off getting relays that will handle 30A or better, something along the lines of automotive relays (not knowing what the Digitrax voltage is - if it's 12DC you're golden for automotive relays, otherwise you'd need to find coil ratings that can handle the Digitrax voltage and then make sure you get contact ratings to handle the current your lights will be drawing.
 #1416128  by Conrail6467

Actually I read my info wrong. I usually draw 4-5. Is there any way I can upgrade a Digitrax BDL-168 to 5-6 amps?