Railroad Forums 

• Turnout Wiring

• Discussion related to everything about model railroading, from layout design and planning, to reviews of related model tools and equipment. Discussion includes O, S, HO, N and Z, as well as narrow gauge topics. Also includes discussion of traditional "toy train" and "collector" topics such as Lionel, American Flyer, Marx, and others. Also includes discussion of outdoor garden railways and live steamers.
Discussion related to everything about model railroading, from layout design and planning, to reviews of related model tools and equipment. Discussion includes O, S, HO, N and Z, as well as narrow gauge topics. Also includes discussion of traditional "toy train" and "collector" topics such as Lionel, American Flyer, Marx, and others. Also includes discussion of outdoor garden railways and live steamers.

Moderators: 3rdrail, stilson4283, Otto Vondrak

#1255527  by Mem160

Is it necessary to wire electrofrog turnouts? In the past I have placed insulated rail joiners on the trailing end to prevent shorts. Is this a reliable method? I have a couple of Hi-Rail track cars I would like to play with and I hear they won't run on insulfrog turnouts. This is correct, right? If I use curved turnouts, sometimes it is Walthers, code 83. They are said to be "DCC Safe". I presume that means they are insulfrog turnouts. I am considering replacing them with Code 100 Shinohara if I have to and use transition joiners. Reliability is much more important to me than simplicity, but that said I am not an electronics or wiring guru. Any suggestions?

Thanks in advance,

- Mark