Railroad Forums 

• TLT Mp36PH-3C's on sale!

• Discussion related to everything about model railroading, from layout design and planning, to reviews of related model tools and equipment. Discussion includes O, S, HO, N and Z, as well as narrow gauge topics. Also includes discussion of traditional "toy train" and "collector" topics such as Lionel, American Flyer, Marx, and others. Also includes discussion of outdoor garden railways and live steamers.
Discussion related to everything about model railroading, from layout design and planning, to reviews of related model tools and equipment. Discussion includes O, S, HO, N and Z, as well as narrow gauge topics. Also includes discussion of traditional "toy train" and "collector" topics such as Lionel, American Flyer, Marx, and others. Also includes discussion of outdoor garden railways and live steamers.

Moderators: 3rdrail, stilson4283, Otto Vondrak

#1246917  by ST214

MBTA units are IN STOCK at MB Klien! Act fast, 011 with sound and DCC is sold out and 010 is down to 2 in stock!
 #1246921  by ST214

fl9m2026 wrote:
ST214 wrote:I have been waiting for the MBTA units to come out for a LONG time now.
You and me both! BTW, we're neighbors... I'm in Sterling.
You should come check out the club I belong to in Worcester. 010 will be there next Saturday hauling passengers.
 #1246938  by jogden

I just bought all four METRA units, with sound. I've never bought LOKSound before, we'll see how I feel about it when they arrive, although I've only heard good things. I'm glad I managed to get them before they sell out. Only problem is I will definitely be in the doghouse when the wife finds out!

The MBTA ones were tempting, as I grew up around the MBTA. However four units hurt enough as it was, and the MBTA is rather distant to what I model.

Looks like I'll have to mark to the extra board so I can get some overtime to pay for these things! :(
 #1246948  by ApproachMedium

It seems MB Klein is the only place selling these things. Just ordered my metra unit. Now could kato please make the stainless cars in HO like they did in N?
 #1247066  by ST214

ST214 wrote:MBTA units are IN STOCK at MB Klien! Act fast, 011 with sound and DCC is sold out and 010 is down to 2 in stock!
Correction.....

010 is now out of stock sound and DCC. They never got 011 with sound and DCC in the order. They are looking into it and will let me know if they are going to get 011. I hope they do, I want a pair!
 #1248061  by ApproachMedium

I got my metra unit today. Did anyone get ANY kind of paper work in the box with these things? Theres nothing to download from the TLT website either. I had to download the LokSelect manual from Loksound to try and figure out all the functions. At one point I got the HEP started up and I couldnt shut it back down. I am trying to figure out how to get the rotary mars light thing to work, the Metra should have it no?

This is a really nice engine overall, I really like it. I just wish the cab didnt light up as part of the headlight.
 #1248095  by ApproachMedium

UPDATE!

Well one of my marker lights stopped working, I emailed TLT about the issue and they were very helpful. I am getting a new light board and PCB in the mail today! The functions needed to be reconfigured with decoder pro so i could access them with my Power cab at home. It seems to be working well now, i still just cant get the HEP to shut down after I start it up. Maybe I need the lokprogrammer.

I also stopped the cab light from working, just unplugged it from the board. simple.
 #1248218  by ApproachMedium

The heavy sound you hear it making when its coming to a stop is the fans kicking up for the blended air/dynamic braking. Something very common in commuter railroads. Totally blown away that this unit has this feature. These guys really did their homework. Video to follow.

http://youtu.be/irnYFKv0AxA" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
 #1248314  by ApproachMedium

Not exactly, what i thought was the HEP is actually the manual notching. I was getting it up to notch 8 and yea, then i need to do F10 to notch it down it seems. So with that, i have no idea how to start the HEP lol. The rep from TLT said F8 does it but im not sure how since thats what starts and shuts the engine itself down.
 #1249706  by ST214

ST214 wrote:
ST214 wrote:MBTA units are IN STOCK at MB Klien! Act fast, 011 with sound and DCC is sold out and 010 is down to 2 in stock!
Correction.....

010 is now out of stock sound and DCC. They never got 011 with sound and DCC in the order. They are looking into it and will let me know if they are going to get 011. I hope they do, I want a pair!
011 is IN STOCK with sound and DCC at MB KLEIN! Act quick, tehy have already sold thru over half of the inventory!

Once 011 arrives, I will make a video of 010 and 011 together!

Heads up also for any Amtrak modelers here, the Kobo shops phase 1 and 2 heritage units with Loksound are in also! Got one of each!
 #1252848  by ns3010

Got my MBTA 011 (DC) today. Looks astounding. Now I just need to somehow give it a test run on my layout that I currently don't have access to...
 #1252853  by ApproachMedium

Well I got my replacement light board for my metra unit. Unfortunately its the wrong board. I emailed Darren from TRT again and he says the board he sent me is the only one they have. Looks like I may have some soldering work to do...
 #1258916  by fl9m2026

ST214 wrote:
fl9m2026 wrote:
ST214 wrote:I have been waiting for the MBTA units to come out for a LONG time now.
You and me both! BTW, we're neighbors... I'm in Sterling.
You should come check out the club I belong to in Worcester. 010 will be there next Saturday hauling passengers.
I'd like that!
 #1258919  by fl9m2026

Well, I've finally gotten all my MP36's. Overall, despite some detail discrepancies from the prototypes, I love them! I had an issue with MBTA 010 (damaged railings and missing parts). Wrote Darren, he was going to pass it onto Mark. Never heard from Mark, so several weeks later I contacted Darren again. He advised he would take care of getting me the replacement parts. Still waiting. I know they're busy at TLT and I'll be patient. They seem care about customer concerns.

My roster includes:

MBTA 010, 011
Metra 427
Metrolink 899,
Northstar 501, 503

I only wish a good model of MBTA's bi-levels (either the K-Cars or Rotems) would be produced. Also, the Sumitomo galleries. I know Kato did them in N scale, wish they would make them in HO. They would go nicely with their Metra F40PH-2's, not to mention the TLT MP36PH-3S's. Similar cars are used by VRE, and CalTrain, so they could produce them in those roads as well (which already have MP36's available). I won't hold my breath though...

I have suitable rolling stock for my Metrolink and Northstar locos and I guess you could count Kato's 60's-vintage Metra gallery cars (however, I'm not sure if the MP36's ever pulled them before the lion's share were sold off - I do have a Kato Metra F40PH-2 that were used to pull them - but would like the modern current cars).