Railroad Forums 

• Do You Get Made Fun Of?

• A forum for teen railroad enthusiasts
A forum for teen railroad enthusiasts

Moderator: TAMR213

#823375  by Jordan

3rdrail wrote:Hey guys- High school is a low point in everyone's lives.
I'll have to disagree there. I'm only 17 (yes, still in high school) so I don't really have a base for comparison, but if anyone here feels that high school was a low point in their lives, I feel sorry for them. Your high school years should be a great time, and while I'm sure they aren't the best years of your life, they're the most carefree. I want to look back on these years when I'm 35-40 and be able to say that I kicked ass, not that I hated it and couldn't wait for it to end.
 #833424  by Tony Clifton

Jordan wrote:
3rdrail wrote:Hey guys- High school is a low point in everyone's lives.
I'll have to disagree there. I'm only 17 (yes, still in high school) so I don't really have a base for comparison, but if anyone here feels that high school was a low point in their lives, I feel sorry for them. Your high school years should be a great time, and while I'm sure they aren't the best years of your life, they're the most carefree. I want to look back on these years when I'm 35-40 and be able to say that I kicked ass, not that I hated it and couldn't wait for it to end.
Because High School is time for sex and drugs, every teenager except myself and a few others have done it. It more of a low point for psychos, busfans, and Express Bus foamers.
 #833455  by ssw9662

I don't get made fun of for being a railfan, but that's mostly because I rarely ever tell people about my interest in trains. Also, since I'm homeschooled my situation is a little different. If kids are going to make fun of me, being a homeschooler is an easier target for them since it's something that many of them don't understand (kind of like railfanning in a way). Additionally it's a lot easier for me to pick which teens I hang out with, so I generally avoid the jerks that would otherwise give me trouble.

It also helps to be well-rounded. I have plenty of other interests (sports, music, history, and politics to name a few...) so that gives me plenty to talk about with my non-railfan friends. Also I use my love of photography as somewhat of a "mask" for railfanning. Sometimes I'll show people some of my better train shots along with the sports and nature pics that I also enjoy taking. It definitely helps out quite a bit, most of them seem to be impressed.
 #833705  by Tony Clifton

Don't let yourself be made fun of PERIOD. Train hobbyists is a hobby, just like sex, video games, fighting, and other teenage hobbies there are out there, YOU the railfan are ABOVE all of this, remember that. Don't be afraid to talk about trains, if they make fun of you, just go to the school dean.
 #834125  by frikentrainnerd

ssw9662 wrote:I don't get made fun of for being a railfan, but that's mostly because I rarely ever tell people about my interest in trains. Also, since I'm homeschooled my situation is a little different. If kids are going to make fun of me, being a homeschooler is an easier target for them since it's something that many of them don't understand (kind of like railfanning in a way). Additionally it's a lot easier for me to pick which teens I hang out with, so I generally avoid the jerks that would otherwise give me trouble.

It also helps to be well-rounded. I have plenty of other interests (sports, music, history, and politics to name a few...) so that gives me plenty to talk about with my non-railfan friends. Also I use my love of photography as somewhat of a "mask" for railfanning. Sometimes I'll show people some of my better train shots along with the sports and nature pics that I also enjoy taking. It definitely helps out quite a bit, most of them seem to be impressed.
Finaly, someone who understands how home schooling can be different. Going back to when you said its "easier picking which teens you hang out with" Different for me. Since im homeschooled it can sometimes be hard to have a social life (not saying im anti-social) since im inside pretty much a good half of the day i dont get exposed to the social life in highschool. Now mabey thats why im haveing trouble talking to girls :P