Railroad Forums 

• Do You Get Made Fun Of?

• A forum for teen railroad enthusiasts
A forum for teen railroad enthusiasts

Moderator: TAMR213

#691594  by ATSF5811

Dont worry guys...the trick is:

If you have a female friend, dont talk her about the differences between a C44-9W and ES44AC on your first date. She wont be coming back if you do!

Be honest, dont hide your a railfan...why should you have to that?

Dont take her near the track unless she wants do. (I found this out the hard way....making a 'detour' after a nice dinner date to see a stack train leave :-) )

A lot of railfans have railroads as thier one and only hobby. Dont just talk about trains at school, talk about sports or movies or music, throw in the odd train fact here and there - you will be right!

Do most of these points and you should be right with the ladies. You wont get made fun of. When I was in school (5 years ago now!!) Most people will think its just like another hobby like cars.

Having said that, the first date I went on with my current girlfriend (2 1/2 years ago), she wanted to go out the next day for lunch....I told her I was going out photographing coal trains. Ever since then, she has had a great understanding. These days she sometimes even holds the video camera while freight trains are passing!!

When I have friends over for a party at my house, guests can see the model railway (Santa Fe all the way!!!), its often a good talking point with the male friends. Even though they have no interest in trains, I commonly get questions like 'Where is this model set?' 'How does it work' 'how did you build it?'...etc. Creates a lot of interest.

It all depends on how you present your hobby. Dont be too obsessive to everyone about it, just treat it like another hobby and you will be right!!

Hope this is of some insight!!

Michael
23 years old :P
 #708811  by tjsingle

Now at my high school i'm not what people would consider a nerd, geek, or dork, I am a jock, I play basketball for my school. But most if not all of my friends don't even know that I like trains, I go out with my dad and railfan for an hour or so, and then go do whatever with friends, school stuff, and basketball. The only people who know I'm intrested is my family, and I don't tell anyone about it because I feel embarassed, well not embarassed but you know. Like I do not know one, not ONE teenage railfan in my area, at all. I also model railroad, no one at all knows about it, only my family.

Do you try to, or hide your hobby from your friends and peers?
 #709095  by atsf sp

My close friends know I'm a railfan and long time friends. It just comes out sometimes when you are driving to 6 flags and you see a B39-8 shunting. My family knows it for sure, they are the only ones that I talk about the railroads technically. Many of my friends say he is going to be a conductor still, but I do not plan on that proffession. Really close friends will ask me about railfanning days but they barely have a clue what I'm talking about, same for me sometimes when they talk. I hold it back more now than I used to but people do know, just not a lot.
 #712700  by daylight4449

Otto Vondrak wrote:
MaineEasternFL9 wrote:I have never gotten made fun of but most people don't know.
No problem, I'll start making fun of you now...

:-)
well otto, just quit the scarcasim. grated i don't mind, but most of the posts you've put on this thread mock us in some way or another, so it gets fustrating after a while.
 #712712  by ns3010

daylight4449 wrote:
Otto Vondrak wrote:
MaineEasternFL9 wrote:I have never gotten made fun of but most people don't know.

well otto, just quit the scarcasim. grated i don't mind, but most of the posts you've put on this thread mock us in some way or another, so it gets fustrating after a while.
Hey, come on! Don't ruin his fun! :-D
Let's put it this way: Would you rather A) Have someone mean and anti-fun come in and lock every single one of our threads, or B) Someone cool that we can talk to and joke around with?

I don't think I ever said anything in this thread so why not. Very few people know about my hobby. Of the people who do know, they either don't ever mention it, or they think it is kinda cool. So that's a negative on the getting made fun of. (Otto, I don't mind if you make fun of me, so go ahead if you want :-) )
 #721517  by Northwest727

Used to, but I stopped caring about what other people said as I got older. 'Much rather watch trains or airplanes than go to drinking at a party...which seems to be what they all do anymore
 #722195  by Long Train Runnin'

My high school newspaper published a feature story on my love of trains. Wasn't really a big deal since no one reads the high school newspaper :-D I don't really care if people find it strange.
 #722218  by daylight4449

Long Train Runnin' wrote:My high school newspaper published a feature story on my love of trains. Wasn't really a big deal since no one reads the high school newspaper :-D I don't really care if people find it strange.
sadly, i'm all alone at my high school. plan to go to bay path for my last 3 years, seeing i'm a freshman
 #722318  by Long Train Runnin'

daylight4449 wrote:
Long Train Runnin' wrote:My high school newspaper published a feature story on my love of trains. Wasn't really a big deal since no one reads the high school newspaper :-D I don't really care if people find it strange.
sadly, i'm all alone at my high school. plan to go to bay path for my last 3 years, seeing i'm a freshman
They wrote the article sadly it didn't turn up any other rail fans. I seem to be alone as well.
 #737786  by Otto Vondrak

daylight4449 wrote:
Otto Vondrak wrote:

I'm totally going to make fun of you for a week straight now!
 #737787  by Otto Vondrak

ns3010 wrote:(Otto, I don't mind if you make fun of me, so go ahead if you want :-) )
Nah, I'm good. I'm still workin' over Daylight4449... Maybe next week?
 #737832  by ns3010

Otto Vondrak wrote:
ns3010 wrote:(Otto, I don't mind if you make fun of me, so go ahead if you want :-) )
Nah, I'm good. I'm still workin' over Daylight4449... Maybe next week?
Ok. I'm already being picked on by my Chem teacher, so I'm a little busy. :-D

She always picks on me cause I'm a Devils fan and she's a Sabres fan. We just fight over it every day (in nice, friendly way). Makes first period interesting and keeps me from falling asleep (I am definately NOT a morning person). :-)
 #740714  by daylight4449

Long Train Runnin' wrote:
daylight4449 wrote:
They wrote the article sadly it didn't turn up any other rail fans. I seem to be alone as well.
yah, just really makes my day.