Railroad Forums 

• Do You Get Made Fun Of?

• A forum for teen railroad enthusiasts
A forum for teen railroad enthusiasts

Moderator: TAMR213

#606720  by KAWASAKI-FAN100

I get made fun of for taking pictures of buses and trains not liking them. My friends don't know I like them. When I told them I take pictures for Septa they said they can take a good enough picture as me but some disagreed and said they can't. They sometimes say I get alot of dough for doing that.

But in the long run do you know who is teasing you? People who have no hobbys and get into trouble alot.
 #613252  by SEPTAR3kid

I never really have any problems. Only my close group of friends really know and they occasionally poke fun at it but just move on. I try and keep it low key especially since I'm into a lot other things like sports and stuff. The only thing my friends get at me about is that I'm good at geography so they'll occasionally make fun of me for that but they always know I'm the one to ask about directions!
 #613264  by scotty269

My friends (teachers, too) usually ask me how to get somewhere via SEPTA, so I really don't mind.
 #614320  by Otto Vondrak

stevo wrote:if people tease you about it, then they're not who you want to be friends with anyway because they're not willing to accept you for who you are.
Friends tease. There's a fine line between bullying, attacking, and teasing. Don't be so thin-skinned or lash out at people if they point something out or give you a label. If the attention makes you uncomfortable, then maybe you need to take a step back and think about what is drawing all this undue attention? Do you wear train shirts to school, read train books in class, draw trains on your notebooks, show girls pictures of trains you took, tell friends about the last train you saw? Maybe then too much of your hobby is interfering with your school life. People will pick up on anything different and associate it with you- a funny haircut, strange clothes, a funny accent... give them something else to talk about and the negative connection goes away. Cut back on the train activities at school, join sports, the school play, the newspaper, a club, something. Channel your energies in more than one place, and you won't be labeled for a singular activity.

(this post is not directed towards stevo or anyone else in particular- just an observation)

-otto-
 #624113  by mrconductor55

Since transferring from a Catholic High School to a High Schoool where I work from home 3/4ths of the time has been great. All of the kids are alot smarter and nicer, and respect my passion, I also have lots more time to foam. Several other kids at my school ar ereally into photography and want to talk about it, compare cameras and such. My commuting to school by bicycle instead of the bus, train or parents is seen as cool, (a bit crazy in the winter). But everyone knows it. I love it. I didn't really mind the teasing much at my old school though.My spanish teacher would call me Choo Choo, or Mr. Conductor, but I am that that I am where I am.
 #644365  by ErieLimited2914

The entire second floor of my garage is O gauge and railroad artifacts such as Comet II blue prints, posters, patches, stuff like that that were handed down to me from my grandfather. The lower level is a wood and metal shop to build 1.5" scale trains.

I had it as my "Best Kept Secret" for a while, then I told one of my friends and they thought it was the coolest thing they've ever seen. Then I told another friend, and they thought the same thing. Over Christmas break from school, I had a few girls come check it out (they were willing too, I warned them it was a Man Cave and all dorky railroad stuff) and they were amazed. They tease me, but only fooling around. They've come back a few times too check out more stuff I put up on the walls or add to it like lanterns and maps.

I don't see any shame in saying I like trains. My family is encrypted in railroad history. My dad's father was one of the original three who started "Railmen for Children". My mother's great grandfather started a railroad in Deming, NM which was the foundation for the modern day Union Pacific.
 #666882  by iceman977th

Not really, but one night after a basketball game, I took a run up to Summitt/Ironville to catch the local job returning in snow, and one of the football players (one of my friends) was at the gas station, and he kept shouting to me not to kill myself on the tracks. Lol

I have a video of it somewhere, on my youtube account (can't get a link right now, account's iceman977th)

Re:

#677062  by daylight4449

XRails wrote:Hey, we actually have a railroad club at our school! How "nerdy" is that? I don't get kidded much because I get respect elsewhere and there are quite a few well-respected guys also in the club.
lucky, i'm the only one in my school, aside from our interim pricipal, jim O'donal. somehow, he can relater the trains to everthing, including the troop trains he rode on when he fought in WW2
 #680417  by Darien Red Sox

ErieLimited2914 wrote:T I had a few girls come check it out (they were willing too, I warned them it was a Man Cave and all dorky railroad stuff) and they were amazed. They tease me, but only fooling around. They've come back a few times too check out more stuff I put up on the walls or add to it like lanterns and maps.
My sister would say it was agents a Girls "Social Norm" and that you would crash and burn on the social scale if you were a girl did something like this. Whatever that means I don't exactly know but it makes me glad to be a boy.
 #689986  by Alcophile

Most people know I like trains and I think most just live with it. If they want to mock me, they go after the fact that I like the Leafs, that actually bothers me. They're always saying stuff like "Leafs suck, they haven't won the cup since 1967!", but I always get them with the fact that the Sabres have NEVER won the cup. Also, no one talks to me about trains, because they have no termonology so I never know what they're talking about, it takes some time and then it's stuff like "that's not a train, it's just a car or engine. But what I find interesting, what always fascinates them the most was my cab ride in Thomas. (which you would think that would be some ammo, but they love it)
 #691392  by Amtrak7

Well, some people make fun of me, others just accept it.

Most of the people who make fun of me think I'm insane for memorizing the LIRR map.
 #691431  by atsf sp

Amtrak7 wrote:Most of the people who make fun of me think I'm insane for memorizing the LIRR map.
My friends think I memorized the MBTA map but really when they ask, they don't realize its right behind them. But don't tell. Surprisingly I don't get made fun of. My close friends know I like trains but don't say anything bad about it. I guess I just don't mention it a lot around other people.