Railroad Forums 

• Do You Get Made Fun Of?

• A forum for teen railroad enthusiasts
A forum for teen railroad enthusiasts

Moderator: TAMR213

#4778  by trainfreak

Hey everyone. I know this is a problem for some people but does anyone here get made fun of for liking trains? I know i take a lot of crap from kids in my school for my hobby of railfanning. I ask them what their hobby is and they will say "uh playing video games" What kind of a hobby is that? At least i get out of my town to go to new locations and meet new friends or old friends from previous adventures to the tracks. But the question is do you get made fun of about your hobby? Feel free to post and tell stories of incidents if you feel like it.

#4821  by XRails

Hey, we actually have a railroad club at our school! How "nerdy" is that? I don't get kidded much because I get respect elsewhere and there are quite a few well-respected guys also in the club.

#4825  by Conrail4evr

Hey, it just goes to show that some people need to grow up. Alot of people know I like trains and I never have any problems in my school. Just don't act embarassed by your hobbies as that is an invitation for others to come and make fun of you. Another thing you could do is make some of them understand why you like them. 99% of the time, they think they're childish toys because they never really get further than the train-set stage. Most never seek out what "Santa Fe" really means, but those who do usually end up like us.

#4914  by TAMR213

Agreed. Some people know that I like railfaning, etc. and everyonce in awhile they will tease for me liking trains, and calling it kiddish, but whatever. I just let it roll off my back. It's no big deal. But girls on the other hand, I try to keep it away from them, scares them off sometimes. As you can tell, people in my school are somewhat imature, but whatever. I have other things to talk about...

#5124  by Lehigh Valley Railroad

Most don't know that I like trains, when they ask where I work I say "Black River Western Railway" they turn there head sideways.

But I am also intertested in old cars, the chicks dig that...

#5267  by SeldenJrFireman

There will always be people like that in this world. I really dont care about what other people have to say and that just shows you that they have nothing else to do. I belong to the F.D. and some of the other juniors and i will hang out at my house running trains on my layout in the backyard. In other words, just ignore those people. they may think their cool now, but wait a few years and see how there doing. Bullies like that don't last to long on the outside these days.

But, kepping this from the girls is probably a good thing for a while.

#5307  by trainfreak

Yea ive been ignoring the bullies for a while...they have nothing better to do. But i think its bad when a younger railfan is discouraged from pursuing his or her hobby due to a bully in their school.

#5333  by bar358

For me in high school it was never really an issue. Most knew that I liked trains and did'ent have a problem with it, gals or guys. Now in college, it works out even better as what I have learned from my hobby I now use the same principles in school. Just roll with the punches and move on.

Matthew Minson
Maine Maritime Academy
Castine, ME

#6139  by CNW4404

yea the guys at my school all kid me about it- they dont attack me in the mean sense since i'm a wise guy :D maybe i'm lucky

and yea the girls arent too big on trains- i dont tell them until AFTER theyre my girlfriend heh

#6253  by zwsplac

I don't really say I like trains unless asked. When I tell them, most people are like "You like TRAINS!?! WHY?" In my English class though, there is this girl who doesn't think its so strange. Her dad works for BNSF and absolutely loves trains, so she understands. Also, it's fun to absolutely blow people away with my knowledge of trains.

#6526  by pcdude9190

Yep, the common, "why do you like them? you don't have to steer" But I guess it's OK to like cars or something. The hobby will always make for a good photography course.

But blowing them away with knowledge is always fun. :D

#6701  by CNW4404

yea, my way to turn around things for girls if they ask about liking trains is by asking if they like photography- if they do, bingo!

#6788  by SSW819

Yea I have gotton made fun of but i really dont think to much of it. Actually as a matter of fact some of my more "loyal" friends think its pretty cool that i like railroading and trains.

#6869  by rob216

I've never had any problems with people knowing that I like railroading in all ways. No one every botherd me about it. Well maybe my girlfriend. Guess she'll never understand why. :) O well. She likes horses and I don't know why, so I guess we are even. Dont let them get to you at all.

#6971  by brunswickrailfan

No one can beat my mascot: We are the Railroaders. Oh yeah! But there are only two railfans in the ENTIRE school. Most of the time, if the subject comes up, I just tell them I'm a better photographer than them...then they just walk away.