Railroad Forums 

• Rail Photography

• A forum for teen railroad enthusiasts
A forum for teen railroad enthusiasts

Moderator: TAMR213

#13685  by mc367

Hi Everyone
How many of us on this forum are into rail photography? If so what type? Roster shots, Trackside, Scinery, or the Out side the Box type More creative stuff. I think of my self as a combo of the last two. I mean i'll do just about all of it but it seems its been a while that i shot a roster shot. Sometimes My shots don't even have a Train in them instead it has a swich stand, building, singnal, People, Track or even the smallest of detail. A Few weeks ago I was in Jackmen Maine chasing Montreal, Maine & Atlantic train #778 when I got some shots of a swich lock that had the letters BAR on them standing for Bangor & Aroostook, a railroad that has been gone for over a year, guess time moves slow. So what makes you go trackside with camera in hand? Anyone intrested in starting a Teen Rail Photography Website or Magazine?

-Justin Franz

#13689  by TAMR213

Personally, anything will get me trackside. It seems that most of my shots are basic roster shots, though I do prefer out of the box type stuff. For example, the photo found at the URL below (photo by me):

http://community.webshots.com/photo/131 ... 1273YATNMu

#13988  by CNW4404

same here, i prefer roster shots because i can be assured of their quality.......i shoot pictures every time i go railfanning

#13990  by SeldenJrFireman

I go for whatever I feel like. Sometimes positioning the camera will make a whole different shot, slong with the environment around it. Im more creative, though.

#14005  by zwsplac

I basically shoot anything trains. If I see an interesting engine or car, then I might take a shot, but most of mine are of the trackside/scenery variety. The quality of my photographs is a toss up though, they never come out the way I'd like them to. Perhaps I'm trying too hard!

#14063  by Railpac

I am heavy into "semi-pro" rail photography, as of right now, my camera shot craps and is in the shop for repairs, but i have a decent number of shots already. Here are a few of them, one is more "artistic" see if you can figure which one. :P

If you like what you see, you can see these and MUCH more on Railpictures.net, just CLICK HERE! :D :wink:

#14386  by pcdude9190

I like to do some long exposure shots especially when the train shines in the sun

#15892  by trainfreak

Well i am new to the world of railroad photography being that i used to shoot video of trains. But with my new digital camera im starting to get the hang of railroad photography and got one shot up on railpictures.net so far. Here are a some of my good shots.

http://www.rrpicturearchives.net/archiv ... spx?id=825

#18415  by Joe

I now have 25 pictures on RailPictures.net (I'm on the dropdown list now! :D ) I've always been a railfan, but only started taking pictures last year. A new digital camera made it a lot easier.

http://www.railpictures.net/showphotos.php?userid=1502

#18435  by MikeF

Nice pictures, Joe. What's the deal with railfans coming from Downers Grove? You're the third or fourth fan I've come across from Downers, and I know of two in Westmont as well.

As for me, I've been shooting trains seriously for about five years and my pictures fall into several categories. Usually I shoot trackside/scenery shots, but I do sometimes take "artsy" shots or details, and I can't turn down a good roster shot.

http://www.railpictures.net/showphotos.php?userid=2076
http://mikef.rrpicturearchives.net/railroadlistAll.aspx

#19228  by Joe

Well, Downers Grove is a great place to railfan for one thing. There's 6 crossings, 3 stations, a siding, a few spurs, and lots of BNSF and Metra action! There also used to be a roundhouse and turntable at the end of the street I live on. Right now they're working on Belmont at the crossing, so there's MoW equipment on the siding. I only know two other railfans in Downers Grove, one is BN7151 on RR.net.

#21020  by Christian S.

Whenever I take photographs, they're usually of steam tourist trains in the Northeast. I enjoy trackside photos that allow space for some scenic surroundings.

#107419  by The RailMan

I have a bunch of photos I took, and some have a story behind it

This picture is one of my first attempts at railroad photography. I went to Metro-North's North White Plains yard sometime in 2000 to meet my uncle (engineer for MN) and I had my camera with me, so I grabbed this photo

I grabbed this shot from the Greenwich train station in Greenwich, CT on the New Haven Line. I was heading up there to check out a Volvo I was going to fix and bring back to life, so I brought the camera to take pictures of the car and motor and all, and I just happened to hear a train, so I grabbed the camera
(That day was fun trip, I had to lug a heavy car battery from Wakefield onto a southbound train to Fordham, go up to the Fordham Rd, go back down to the northbound platform, and get on a NH bound train, I'm surprised that a conductor didn't question why I was lugging a car battery onto a train)

This next one is a cool picture, the Amtrak train isn't the only focus in the picture, off to the right of the picture, you can see the NYCTA Subway cars at the Kawasaki plant at Yonkers