Railroad Forums 

• What is your favorite spot to train watch at?

• A forum for teen railroad enthusiasts
A forum for teen railroad enthusiasts

Moderator: TAMR213

#167658  by Amtrak31

Hey everyone. I thought I'd start up a topic about what everyone's favorite place to train watch is. Mine is anywhere on the BNSF Transcon. Joliet is my all time favorite. Lots of trains. GREAT variety. I live about 10 minutes from the Joliet Union Station.

#167717  by 4 Express

I think the Hillside Facility & the abandoned Hillside station on the Long Island Railroad would be the perfect places to watch trains, but unfortunately none of them are open to passengers so I guess that means that anywhere between Jamaica & Floral Park on the Main Line is great.

#167783  by Bucyrus6150

St. Lawrence & Hudson (Ex D&H) between Nicholson and Dalton. Not near as many as some other places (only about 16-20 trains a week) but its better than nothing.

#170008  by njtmnrrbuff

Waterbury, Ct
Fullerton, Ca-this is a must for anyone on the east coast who hasn't been to Cali. Lots of BNSF as well as Amtrak and Metrolink. No one bothers you here.
Santa Barbara, Ca
San Diego(Amtrak Station)
Cold Spring, NY
most stations south of LB on transit's coastline
Princeton Jct, NJ
Philadephia's 30th street station from Septa property.
Dover, NJ

#170019  by AmtrakFan

My Favorites
Downers Grove, IL
Naperville, IL
Alliance, NE
La Grange, IL
Milwaukee Airport Stop, WI
Manhamine Metra Station
Cheyenne, WY
Powder River Basin

#171199  by AznSumtinSumtin

My favorites:
Oak Grove area in Malden, Massachusetts. Reading and Haverill commuter trains pass through there every day. And the MBTA Orange Line subway trains turn around on the surface there too.

The CSX yard in Allston or Cambridge, Massachusetts(I forget what city its in, all I know is that I take the #66 bus there).

MBTA Lechmere Station on the Green Line in Cambridge is perfect is photograph MBTA Green Line trolleys turn around and BET(not the music channel, I'm talking about the Boston Engine Terminal).

#171215  by njtmnrrbuff

The CSX yard, referred to as Beacon Hill Yard I believe, is in Allston. Cambridge is across the Charles River. I have quite a few favorite spots in and around Beantown. Route 128, that park right by N. Station where you can view everything out of there. One of these days, I want to make a daytrip to Boston to railfan and cover some more mileage on MBTA Commuter rail, especially out to Rockport.

#199174  by B&MYoshi

Beacon Park Yard is in Alliston/Brighton. Therefore, its all actually in the city of Boston, since both Alliston and Brighton are part of the actual City. Its easy to access from Storrow Drive or the Alliston Brighton exit on the Pike.

I enjoy railfanning at my local MBTA stop, and out in the Berkshires. I especially enjoy Deerfield Yard, Shelburne Falls, and the Tunnel Portals.

#199424  by CN9634

Dorval, PQ
Anywhere on the SLR
Danville Junct.
Lewiston Junct.
Rigby.

#205444  by Bay Head Local

Secacuc Junction,NJ
Floral Park,NY
Jamaica,NY
Summit,NJ
New Brunswick,NJ
Zoo Junction,PA

#205959  by Tadman

Joliet Union Depot
Roosevelt Road approach to CUS, LSS
Canal/CUS approach
Hegewisch

#205994  by M&Eman

Summit, N.J-Interesting Movements, 175 Passenger trains plus EXTREMELY rare freight
Maplewood, N.J-Home Station 175 trains per day
Oak Island Yard, Newark-THere is almost no security ther
Hoboken Terminal-self explanatory

#206477  by njtmnrrbuff

New Haven ct is a favorite of mine. You get everything, ranging from MN to Amtrak. Most people don't care about it as long as you don't do anything stupid.