Railroad Forums 

• Are Train Enthusiasts "Dying out"?

• A forum for teen railroad enthusiasts
A forum for teen railroad enthusiasts

Moderator: TAMR213

#131776  by The RailMan

I think as long as there are railroads, there will be railfans. Only thing is that I don't think there will be as many as back in the day. Back then in the steam era, the train was pretty much the only way to go. Today, rail travel has taken a backseat to the car and airplane, and not as many people are exposed to the train as 50 or 60 years ago. I know plenty of people in their teens who never set foot on a train or even the subway. I think more people have an interest in cars than the rails. I even work on cars on a regular basis. I find people who aren't railfans that ask me questions about trains are actually regular commuters. I've got the railfan ball rolling with a few friends, I'm hoping that I can get them into it. It's a great hobby and it sure would be a shame if it were to die out.

#131864  by espee

Since security measures have been stepped up so much, I think a lot of people have either given up or cut back a lot because some areas are such a hassle. I know I haven't been out in awhile since one of my favorite places has been fenced off.

#133241  by MetraRy

i think there is a lot of people who are intrested, but they just dont know where to begin. When i go to railroad shows and stuff all you usually see is people in there fifties up and i noticed that NOT all, but a lot are unwilling to invite us into the hobby. They seem to have a complex of teens joining the groups. I think a lot people are age who are intrested get turned off because of this. Plus, there isn't as much understanding among the public of railfans, then lets say, car fans.

#133429  by trainfreak

Yeah plus way back when there was a lot more lines then today. Like me for example there used to be 3 lines by me (all decently busy) and today theres only 1 railroad without that much traffic. The busier lines are all an hour away from me and do to security it makes me not want to go since chances are i will be deemed a terrorist by the public.

#134598  by Njt4300

I Ve liked trains all of my life and I plan on becoming a Locomotive Engineer for NJT in the next 7-8 years!

#134731  by sullivan1985

Njt4300 wrote:I Ve liked trains all of my life and I plan on becoming a Locomotive Engineer for NJT in the next 7-8 years!
Well let me twll you, you wont. You dont just become an engineer. You have to be with the a company for quite a few years and have seniority. You don't just wake up and say, "hey, im gonna become a locomotive engineer".

You're 13 now, and you expect to be a loco engineer by 21? No way. If you want to work at NJT you have to start low as an assistant conductor and work you're way up. Notice you dont see any drivers around under the age of atleast 30.

#134735  by Njt4300

I was typing fast I meant start working for the company at 21, I have a friend that is an engineer on the ACL for 28 years, I guess back then it was easier, he said it didnt take him that long

#134737  by sullivan1985

espee wrote:Since security measures have been stepped up so much, I think a lot of people have either given up or cut back a lot because some areas are such a hassle. I know I haven't been out in awhile since one of my favorite places has been fenced off.
Yeah all the new security risks suck, and I've been questioned plenty of times by both Railroad and local police but thats no reason to stop you. I've been called a "potentional terror threat" in "high-risk areas" and that never stopped me.

All you gotta do is don't get all pissed at the cops and they will usually give you a break. Dont play dumb, dont play smart, just work with them and its all good. Trust me.

I live in Rutherford, NJ along New Jersey Transits Bergen County Line, and NJT cops used to ask me questions all the time, but now i hardly ever get noticed by them.

#134989  by MetraRy

its funny because metra police just wave to me and smile. One time even i thought i was in a area i should not have been in, but a metra police officer came by and said its a nice day to photograph. Boy was i surprised

#139087  by stevo

i think video cameras help......one time jogden and i were at mineola, ny and we were taking pictures and videotaping trains as they go by and one oyster bay train comes along, stops at the station, and then goes, then stops next to where we are cause he has to wait for them to change the switch so he can go to oyster bay, so he opens the door on the side of the locomotive and invites us in! then he explains why he stopped and asked if we were going to oyster bay, and we said no and he said he would have let us ride there if we were going.......it was pretty sweet!

#139149  by GN_RS-3

I agree, as long as there are trains, there will be railfans. There may not be as many as in the 50's and 60's,But there will always be some. You are right, most of us will work for the railroad, I plan to work for BNSF in 3-4 years, I'll be a carman, welding on boxcars. :-D

#139955  by Metalrailz

I don't believe that Railroad Enthusiasts are fading away slowly. We are an elite group, this is our hobby. What I have done is when someone asks me what kind of hobbies I have I mention railroading, if they have no questions then I move on to the next topic. A few times I get that" you like trains??" look from people. Doesn't bother me whatsoever. Sorry I just can't sit inside and watch NASCAR or MLB. Life is too short, make the most of every moment.
 #154976  by G-Unit Soldier

CoastStarlight99 wrote:I hope I am wrong.
Dont worry, You Are.

I meet tons of Fans My Age in Coach, its a Comon Thing on The Coast Starlight

#154995  by CoastStarlight99

No, I am not wrong Jonathon, If you have read the Los Angeles times...you may have seen an article which I will find the link to, with a whole article about Modoc Railraod Academy and how ALL railroads are trying to find employees because they are recruiting many less then they were 30 or so years ago..

#155098  by G-Unit Soldier

No, I was talking about Amtrak.