Railroad Forums 

• Future Railroad Employees

• A forum for teen railroad enthusiasts
A forum for teen railroad enthusiasts

Moderator: TAMR213

#215466  by justinking

Gettysburg and Northern Railway. MofW worker, with options for conductor service in the future. I'd love to be able to work for the maryland midland one day, means i've grown up watching MMID trains.

#215543  by Bucyrus6150

I'm still undecided on wether I want to work for a railroad someday or not. Although its been my dream job since about age 5 I'm not sure I'd want that kind of work schedule. Anyway its still going to be at least another 4 years till I have to worry about what I'm going to do after I'm out of the military.

#231617  by ENR3870

justinking wrote:I'd like to one day work for a shortline. I'm iffy on class 1s. I've already had an interveiw for one railroad although I didn't get the job.

If it is what you really want to do, stick with it. You may not be hired right away, the day I turned 18 I put in an application to BC Rail(who were still around and hiring then). That was 3 years ago and finally I was just recently hired by the Canadian National Railway last October. A lot of short lines want people with a few years experience on a Class 1 before they will even consider hiring them. Your best bet is to hire on with a Class one, get some experience and then go to a short line.

#234129  by CoastStarlight99

If I ever worked for a railroad, it would be Amtrak.

However, I think this is pretty hard these days since seniority is such a huge factor. On my last trip, a crew member told me that several members of his crew had been bumped down in the last year.

#236364  by LIRRMEDFORD

I'm gunna work for the LIRR or MNRR one day even if it kills me

#237913  by justinking

ENR3870 wrote:
justinking wrote:I'd like to one day work for a shortline. I'm iffy on class 1s. I've already had an interveiw for one railroad although I didn't get the job.

If it is what you really want to do, stick with it. You may not be hired right away, the day I turned 18 I put in an application to BC Rail(who were still around and hiring then). That was 3 years ago and finally I was just recently hired by the Canadian National Railway last October. A lot of short lines want people with a few years experience on a Class 1 before they will even consider hiring them. Your best bet is to hire on with a Class one, get some experience and then go to a short line.
Thanks for the advice, I figured I would have to do that first hand, right at this moment it just doesnt fit into my life the way it will have to but as soon as things become easier for me I will sign on with a class 1

#250141  by gearhead426

im taking autobody in my teck school(grasso tech in groton, CT) so i could get a job straightning up the aftermath of grade crossing accidents and doing maintnence work on locomotives and stuff. being a switchman could be fun.
GEARHEAD426

#250939  by CNJGeep

The Second I graduate from Communications in Wall (Which is where I'm spending Softmore-Senior years) I'm applying for a job at NJT. Fist I'll be a conductor for a few years, maybe two-five, than apply for locomtive engineer...

#280553  by shacnuf62089

one day i wanna work for csx up here in new york.

#280651  by stevo

i'm a motorman for the seashore trolley museum. the railroad isn't my future anymore...it's my present :-D

#282990  by CSX-Dan5377

Well for me its CSX on the Chicago line its very long work but I am prepared 4 anything :-D

#283192  by U-Haul

The Reading Blue Mountain & Northern is my goal.

#284144  by AmtrakPhill629

future LIRR engineer

#285099  by NSFan14

I Want To Be An Engineer When Im At That Age

#286541  by trevor macpherson

I want to work for either CP/NS on the D&H or who ever owns it when I grow up (im 13 so a little while more). Ive always dreamed of being a engineer maybe one day to "drive" one of the old D&H's.