Railroad Forums 

• "Extreme Trains" hosted by Matt Bown

• Discussion related to railroads/trains that show up in TV shows, commercials, movies, literature (books, poems and more), songs, the Internet, and more... Also includes discussion of well-known figures in the railroad industry or the rail enthusiast hobby.
Discussion related to railroads/trains that show up in TV shows, commercials, movies, literature (books, poems and more), songs, the Internet, and more... Also includes discussion of well-known figures in the railroad industry or the rail enthusiast hobby.

Moderator: Aa3rt

#596313  by Otto Vondrak

EXTREME TRAINS, hosted by real-life train conductor Matt Bown, reveals the incredible inner workings and past lives of the amazing locomotives that haul huge loads across the nation and deliver passengers to their destinations. The series shows the huge part these trains have played in shaping American history--and how vital trains are to American life today.
So who's Matt Brown? I am told he is a conductor for PAR. And the show is sponsored by CSX.

http://www.history.com/genericContent.do?id=60696
 #596580  by NV290

Otto Vondrak wrote:
EXTREME TRAINS, hosted by real-life train conductor Matt Bown, reveals the incredible inner workings and past lives of the amazing locomotives that haul huge loads across the nation and deliver passengers to their destinations. The series shows the huge part these trains have played in shaping American history--and how vital trains are to American life today.
So who's Matt Brown? I am told he is a conductor for PAR. And the show is sponsored by CSX.

http://www.history.com/genericContent.do?id=60696
Unless he works way up in Maine, he does not work for PAR. I just talked to a buddy who has worked there for 16 years (From Portland to all points west) and he has never heard of him.
 #597075  by laika

He works for Pan Am / Guildford Rail in Maine.
For real.
I know.
I worked on the show.
He's probably kicking cars right now.
And it's BOWN, by the way.
 #598832  by GOLDEN-ARM

Awesome. A show about locomotives, hosted by a conductor. (most comfortable chairs for sleeping, his main points, I imagine..... :P ) I saw where he has already said "train tracks are 4'8" gauge, the same as Roman charriots wheels". Seems his railroad is running a bit "tight". Awesome !!! :(
 #598841  by MEC407

Well it's sponsored by CSX... tracks out of gauge is nothing new for them :wink:
 #598881  by NV290

GOLDEN-ARM wrote:Awesome. A show about locomotives, hosted by a conductor. (most comfortable chairs for sleeping, his main points, I imagine..... :P ) I saw where he has already said "train tracks are 4'8" gauge, the same as Roman charriots wheels". Seems his railroad is running a bit "tight". Awesome !!! :(
I was kind of bothered by that as well. You would think the producers would have found an Engineer to host a show about locomotives and the difficulties involved in moving trains. No offense to Conductors, but on road trains, once moving, a Conductor is nothing more then an extra set of eyes to look out for signals and danger. They do not in any way, shape or form have ANYTHING to do with running a train. And i can count on one hand the number of Conductors i have met in 10+ years who know even a 1/4 of the grades on my division and about the same number who even understand air brakes to the point they could run a train. It's not even in their job description. A Conductor does the ground work and the paperwork. Once moving, he is a set of eyes and handles the radio chores. Thats it. And to add insult to injury, the person they chose works for a regional most famous for incredibly slow, short, underpowered trains. The average train on PAR is around 50 cars. I have seen MANY that are 30 or less. And he works in an area with less then 10 trains a day in mostly DCS territory. It's like a shortline up there. This is the best guy they can find? He does not even know the track gauge and he is supposed to host a show about Locomotives? You would think CSX would have been able to provide plenty of great choices since after all, it is a real railroad.

The whole idea is to me, just as stupid as having a show about airplanes hosted by a flight attendant. Or a show about saling ships hosted by a deckhand. If you get my drift.

Congrats to Mr. Bown for landing the gig, but without even seeing the show yet, it's clear the producers are off to a bad start.
 #598882  by moosespider21

Where did I say that? I said so much it's hard to remember. I'm sure it's not all going to be perfect..... Like when I said harmonic rock happens between 16-21 mph. Woops! I think it was caught before it made the show. After all what's a half inch between friends :-D Hope you guys enjoy the series. Later,
Matt
 #599873  by GOLDEN-ARM

NV290 wrote:" a Conductor is nothing more then an extra set of eyes to look out for signals and danger. They do not in any way, shape or form have ANYTHING to do with running a train. And i can count on one hand the number of Conductors i have met in 10+ years who know even a 1/4 of the grades on my division and about the same number who even ........

The whole idea is to me, just as stupid as having a show about airplanes hosted by a flight attendant. Or a show about saling ships hosted by a deckhand. If you get my drift.

Congrats to Mr. Bown for landing the gig, but without even seeing the show yet, it's clear the producers are off to a bad start.

Thankfully, those eyes are protected, from the blinding rays of the cab light, by remaining shut for long periods of time........ :P They should get credit for those grades, though. A good hogger knows the grade, by the positioning of the conductors head. Even the degrees of a curve are easily observed, in the lean of that highly calibrated head-swivel.... :P (just having fun with the conductors. next time, I'LL change the knuckle!!!! :P )
 #599946  by keeper1616

NV290 wrote: The whole idea is to me, just as stupid as having a show about airplanes hosted by a flight attendant. Or a show about saling ships hosted by a deckhand. If you get my drift.

Maybe you should see the show before making judgments. There are plenty of hosts of shows that don't know much about the stuff they are reporting on. (Take DC's Mike Rowe for example). Its about presentation, delivery and acting ability, not knowledge of the topic. 90% of the time, they are just reading what they are handed to begin with.

Watch the show then comment on it, not before (and for the record, I haven't seen it yet either)
 #600889  by Deckhand

Extreme Trains is on the History channel tonight at 10 pm. The anchor person is an 11 yr PanAm conductor-Matt Brown from North Anson, ME. This is the first of an 8 part series featuring a coal train
 #600920  by KevinCulla9

Deckhand wrote:Extreme Trains is on the History channel tonight at 10 pm. The anchor person is an 11 yr PanAm conductor-Matt Brown from North Anson, ME. This is the first of an 8 part series featuring a coal train
WOOT, nice to see a local guy on a T.V. Show for a change!!