Railroad Forums 

• OLD BOOK-1899 RR Telegrapher

• Discussion related to railroads/trains that show up in TV shows, commercials, movies, literature (books, poems and more), songs, the Internet, and more... Also includes discussion of well-known figures in the railroad industry or the rail enthusiast hobby.
Discussion related to railroads/trains that show up in TV shows, commercials, movies, literature (books, poems and more), songs, the Internet, and more... Also includes discussion of well-known figures in the railroad industry or the rail enthusiast hobby.

Moderator: Aa3rt

#1489667  by SST

A few weeks ago, I was at a relatives house. He had just moved into it and had not put everything away yet. While walking down the staircase, I looked at a book just sitting out in the open among others. I see the word "telegraph." I pick it up and quickly gaze through it. Turns out, this book was published in 1899 and an autobiography. "Tales of the Telegraph" by Jasper Ewing Brady, USA. Just the first chapter has me locked in. This is a first hand account of a RR employee, written by the employee in the late 1800's starting out as a telegrapher and dispatcher. I've only read half of the book. I am deliberately stalling cuz I want it to last.

I checked Amazon and Googled this book. Only found a reprint of it. I am lucky to have an original. This is such a great book because it isn't written by somebody today about what it is was like then. Its written by the person who was there. First hand account. If you can find it, buy it. As for the original, I will never sell it.

This link is to the reprint:
https://www.thriftbooks.com/w/tales-of- ... q=17047613" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
 #1489908  by BR&P

That type of book is like crack to me - I just love reading the "how things used to be back then" stuff. Don't have this one yet, but Christmas is coming and next time I'm asked for suggestions, I know what to ask for.

If telegraphy in particular intrigues you, there's also "The Brasspounder" by Sanders. He worked for the PRR in Ohio a hundred or so years back.