Railroad Forums 

• Railroads in the movies

• Discussion related to railroads/trains that show up in TV shows, commercials, movies, literature (books, poems and more), songs, the Internet, and more... Also includes discussion of well-known figures in the railroad industry or the rail enthusiast hobby.
Discussion related to railroads/trains that show up in TV shows, commercials, movies, literature (books, poems and more), songs, the Internet, and more... Also includes discussion of well-known figures in the railroad industry or the rail enthusiast hobby.

Moderator: Aa3rt

#93936  by BoilerBob

The 7-Ups. Filmed in NYC, it has a GG-1 in the background. Can't really tell where the scene is, but you can definately see the loco moving under it's own power.

#94157  by AmtrakFan

Got another Ground Hog day where the guy drives on the RR Tracks and then a BN SD9 6244 hits their car.

John

#94290  by shortlinerailroader

"Are We There Yet" with Ice Cube has a train scene where it looks like they are trying to hop it. I have seen only the trailer.

Say, why do they call it a trailer when you see that BEFORE you see the movie?

#95377  by RDGAndrew

I watched the new "Manchurian Candidate" with Denzel Washington last night (that is, DW is in it, I watched it with my wife) - there are two items of note. First is the fact that his character travels from DC to NYP and back on an Acela Express. If you haven't seen it, I won't give anything away, but let's say that his random encounter with the "grocery store bagger" from back home is waaaay suspicious - how'd she afford an Acela Express ticket bagging groceries? The more interesting part is at the very end, when he goes back to an island in the Persian Gulf. You see his helicopter on the ground and hear some radio chatter of the type that's always in the background in military or police scenes. But if you listen closely, it's actually an NS detector announcing "No Defects!" Who slipped that in there??

#114425  by Metalrailz

I just ordered a movie from Netflix called "Rail Kings(2002)" starring Ernest Borgnine(Escape from New York, The Poseidon Adventure), here is the summary:
Ernest Borgnine stars in this thriller about a man who hops from freight train to freight train in search of his parents' killer. After his rich parents are slain by a homicidal hobo known as Phantom 13, Preston West is suspected of the murders. In order to clear his name and track down the real killer, Preston pursues Phantom 13, who escaped by hopping a freight train. With time running out, Preston reluctantly seeks help from his cranky uncle
has anyone ever heard of or seen this movie?

#116149  by Metalrailz

Well I viewed the movie(Rail Kings)last night, The movie took place in the State of California. The trains they showed throughout the movie were awesome(UP, BNSF, BN AMTRAK), the soundtrack was good. I can rate this a B movie. The rail traffic alone is worth a watch.

#118373  by gravelyfan

michael_m_rubino wrote:How about:

JFK Kevin Costner Dallas, Texas

JFK had lots of hoopla about how it was going to be "period". Oliver Stone got the trees in Dealy Plaza cut back to be more like they were in 1963. They find period autos for the motorcade. Then, for the two "cuts" to the grassy knoll (which leads to, what else, a railroad yard), one train goes by with a Conrail box car, and the second train was double stacks.

So much for period realism.

When I saw this in the movie theater, I started laughing out loud. My wife had to hit me to get me to shut up. It was really that bad, at least for me.

#122635  by james1787

My wife and I were watching 'Warm Springs', the made for TV movie FDR's years before he ran for office. They had some nice shots of a steam engine, a baggage car and a nice pullman at a train station. I recall some of the lettering on the pullman, it started with Tennessee I believe. I believe the engine was under steam as there was a shot of it pulling into the station. I wonder what line this was and where it was shot?

Also had a nice shot of some standard guage Lionel trains during a Christmas scene.

#124700  by dhaugh

I didn't see "That Was Then, This Is Now" anywhere. That's another authored by SE Hinton who also wrote "The Outsiders". This one is filmed in Minneapolis and St. Paul, and there's a scene that I think is near downtown St. Paul with a long freight going by behind the scene.

#124745  by emd_SD_60

In Superman, a trio of Amtrak SDP40F's have a brief cameo, during the earthquake scene where the track goes out and Superman doubles as a section of rail. :P

#125306  by efin98

LI Loco wrote:After a fight scene, Silent Bob throws Loki and Bartleby off the train. He then utters one of his only lines in the movie to a bewildered fellow traveler: "No ticket."
He had one more line, he said "thank you" at the end when he was told "you might get into heaven if you'd clean up your language a little"...

And unless I am mistaken after he said "no ticket" there was a wide shot of the train going down the tracks with what are clearly Superliners on the end of the train!

#125307  by efin98

Flipping through channels I happend to catch the last half hour of the gangster movie "Carlito's Way".

The last 15-20 minutes of the movie involve a chase through the subway(I think it was the 6 or 7 IRT Lines) and had excellant shots of both the subway station, shuttle platform, "red bird" car interiors, Grand Central Terminal's concourse, and a set of Amfleets and ACMUs. And a minor goof since I think the movie is set in the 70s, the Amfleet cars have Type 3 paint jobss but other than that everything looks to be authentic.

#127373  by Ron Newman

"Rail Kings" is not listed in IMDB.com which usually knows about every movie ever made. Was this somehow never released?

#127479  by CR6618

efin98 wrote:Flipping through channels I happend to catch the last half hour of the gangster movie "Carlito's Way".

The last 15-20 minutes of the movie involve a chase through the subway(I think it was the 6 or 7 IRT Lines) and had excellant shots of both the subway station, shuttle platform, "red bird" car interiors, Grand Central Terminal's concourse, and a set of Amfleets and ACMUs. And a minor goof since I think the movie is set in the 70s, the Amfleet cars have Type 3 paint jobss but other than that everything looks to be authentic.
Bigger goof -- they were in GCT to grab an Amtrak bound for Florida.

Other films:

"From Russia With Love" (James Bond)

"Unfaithful" (Richard Gere) Metro North Hudson Line