Railroad Forums 

• Rail transit in Zootopia (ZTA)

• Discussion related to railroads/trains that show up in TV shows, commercials, movies, literature (books, poems and more), songs, the Internet, and more... Also includes discussion of well-known figures in the railroad industry or the rail enthusiast hobby.
Discussion related to railroads/trains that show up in TV shows, commercials, movies, literature (books, poems and more), songs, the Internet, and more... Also includes discussion of well-known figures in the railroad industry or the rail enthusiast hobby.

Moderator: Aa3rt

#1387971  by STrRedWolf

I held off on this because I wanted to wait for the DVD to come out. But it's out now, and I want to start analyzing the transit of Zootopia.

Some rough notes:
  • The transit map is fairly accurate in terms of commuter rail service (which I will call ZTA TRAX) for one line to the bunny burrows. But there's at least four lines!
  • Single track into Downtown. OUCH! Disney didn't do much research, but there's some outs for pocket tracks, tunnels, and a ring road.
More as I go through the movie and take notes. I'm assuming commuter rail, subway, trolley, and bus service with the ZTA.
 #1388103  by STrRedWolf

scratchy wrote:But then, there is the section where there is subway and main line freight on the same segment.
Not possible, anywhere.
Well... actually Chicago's 'L' had some freight on it at one time on it's northern branches... as well as commuter rail. Check the history section of chicago-l.org for details.
 #1388271  by mtuandrew

STrRedWolf wrote:Well... actually Chicago's 'L' had some freight on it at one time on it's northern branches... as well as commuter rail. Check the history section of chicago-l.org for details.
And if you want a technically-FRA subway, PATH once had freight service (more so as the H&M.)
 #1390602  by STrRedWolf

With what we have in hand, I'd like to go out on a limb here. Expect animal puns. You'll be warned.

Lets consider the movie showing only part of the services the ZTA shows, including all the railroads. We can assume there is commuter rail, subway, streetcar/tram, skycar, ferry, and bus service. We'll ignore the latter three, of course.

Commuter rail shows as a partial ring around the various climate areas of Zootopia, using RDC or EMU units (no engines), with some way of "hiding" the third rail. The downside is that it's all one rail... and it looks like it corkscrews in... although there's four tracks into what I'll call "Watering Hole Station". Not all the railway is shown, though... and that's a plot hole I intend to drive a EMD GP40WH-2 through.

So let's speculate this:
  • Communter Rail is called "TRAX" and one of the lines is to the Bunny Burrows ("Hopper" service). I think the other lines could be the "Polar Express" and maybe a line that lets you transfer to "Anitrak" for "Piggsburg."
  • Two levels of rail service would be available: Direct and Scenic. Scenic service would travel a ring railroad and switch off at two points. Direct service would be underground for part of the way and then tie into the other lines. The outer tracks at the station are Direct trains. The inners are Scenic.
  • Scenic service gets delayed due to snow drifts in the colder climate zones and sand storm drifts in the desert climate zone.
  • There's a ton of pocket tracks around. Ooooh woe when those trains break down...