Railroad Forums 

• 2016 CNJ alendar

• Discussion related to railroads/trains that show up in TV shows, commercials, movies, literature (books, poems and more), songs, the Internet, and more... Also includes discussion of well-known figures in the railroad industry or the rail enthusiast hobby.
Discussion related to railroads/trains that show up in TV shows, commercials, movies, literature (books, poems and more), songs, the Internet, and more... Also includes discussion of well-known figures in the railroad industry or the rail enthusiast hobby.

Moderator: Aa3rt

#1351325  by kilroy

It's that time of year again when the Jersey Central Railway Historical Society's all color CNJ calendar is for sale.

In addition to our 2016 calendar and past calendars, we also have some reproduction prints of time tables, a CNJ camelback blueprint and a Rockaway Valley RR map.

Visit the store at http://store.jcrhs.org/.
 #1353161  by Noel Weaver

This might well be a worthy project for a good cause. Having said that, I think calendars today are a total waste of money and I no longer will buy any more of them from any source. I have most of the New Haven calendars from a long time and the 1988 calendar will do for 2016 very well. Not only do the days match with the weeks and months but 1988 was a leap year as well. Today the New Haven calendars are NOT worth the money, the photos are just as good on old ones as they are on today's ones and there is nothing really original or really old either. A lot of times old B & W photos are far better in interest and quality than some of the color stuff, I know the New Haven outfit has or at least had access to some good B & W stuff from earlier times than the junk they are presently using.
Good luck with this one, I hope it is far better than what the NHRHTA is doing with their's.
Noel Weaver
 #1353862  by kilroy

I hope it is far better than what the NHRHTA is doing with their's.
Buy one and find out! :P :P

I haven't see the NHRHTA calendar so I can't say if our's is better/worse/the same.

I know that color calendars sell better than b&w and that single RR or locomotive calendars sell better than multi-road calendars.

Lucky for us we didn't put out a calendar in 1988 so we're not competing against ourselves. I do work to ensure we have a mix of motive power and locations as well as having both passenger, freight and marine operation photos in it. Sometims I do a better job at that than others. I like to see us use photos that have more than just a locomotive in it. Structures, signals, branchlines, etc help make the photo more interesting and gives hsitory to operations. Almost all locations look different than they did 40-50 years ago so I look for that.

In the end, we all are working with what we have. I've had great photos I could not get permission to use so you don't see them. If anybody has CNJ photos they are willing to share, I'm more than hpayy to discuss utting them in a future calendar.
 #1355065  by Noel Weaver

Sorry but I am sticking to my policy of no more calendars. I would advise you to use some top quality black and white photos, I'll take some of Don Wood's or other photographers quality B & W to some of the color stuff out today. I regret very much that the New Haven outfit does not believe in using some top notch photos by Cocharane, Donahue and others of steam in its glory to some of the McGinnis stuff that they use today. Maybe if they did something like that I MIGHT break down and buy a B & W calendar but their stuff today is at least in my opinion a WASTE OF MONEY.
Noel Weaver