Railroad Forums 

• The Great Locomotive Chase

• Discussion related to railroads/trains that show up in TV shows, commercials, movies, literature (books, poems and more), songs, the Internet, and more... Also includes discussion of well-known figures in the railroad industry or the rail enthusiast hobby.
Discussion related to railroads/trains that show up in TV shows, commercials, movies, literature (books, poems and more), songs, the Internet, and more... Also includes discussion of well-known figures in the railroad industry or the rail enthusiast hobby.

Moderator: Aa3rt

#1337849  by Marty Feldner

Disney's 1956 movie, "The Great Locomotive Chase", starring three vintage steam locomotives and Fess Parker, will air on Turner Classic Movies at 12:15 AM Friday, July 3 (Eastern Time). This movie is based on the same event as Buster Keaton's "The General", a silent classic; Disney's version is much more rooted in the actual event. (Walt Disney was well know as a railfan, and it shows in this film.) Walt also devoted an episode of his TV show 'Disneyland' to the making of the film.

If you haven't seen it, it is worth the effort. If you have, you'll want to watch it again- it seldom shows up on broadcast television (there is a DVD available, issued about a decade ago).
 #1337914  by BR&P

Don't be shocked if it gets replaced with something else. I'm pretty sure a movie about that incident will have Confederate flags in it, and I don't need to elaborate on that BS going on!
 #1337923  by SemperFidelis

Yay...politics at railroad.net. (sigh.......)

It's a great movie and it won't be cancelled despite what some might state in an attempt to vent thier disagreement with current events.

Happy 4th!
 #1337926  by Marty Feldner

SemperFidelis wrote:Yay...politics at railroad.net. (sigh.......)

It's a great movie and it won't be cancelled despite what some might state in an attempt to vent thier disagreement with current events.

Happy 4th!
Agreed- that post was completely unnecessary.
 #1337928  by SemperFidelis

Some folks have trouble accepting change. I suppose it is natural. I was once, when young and more stupid than I presently am, the same way.

I remember watching that movie a hundred times with my father. Now I do the same with my sons.

It's an esoteric historical matter, but I find it odd that the very dirst Medals of Honor were awarded to Union men, all involved in the chase, who, while captive, renounced thier allegiance to the Union in an attempt to not be hanged as spies as 7 of those brave men were.

Andrews proved to be a poor planner and leader. The Union men could have killed the chasing Confederates any time they wanted, but feared thier unknown numbers. A shame. A Union victory made us a better, united, nation. Anything to hasten such victory, and the freedom of millions, was worth the effort.
 #1337958  by BR&P

Marty Feldner wrote:Agreed- that post was completely unnecessary.
That post was made in all sincerity and actuality, not meant as a political statement. Perhaps my saying I felt it was BS was my personal opinion and could have been left out. But it is a fact, not opinion, that various TV shows such as reruns of Duke of Hazzard have been removed from TV. Given that sentiment - whether any of us agree or disagree - it is a very real possibility that anything related to the Civil War may be shelved at least for the time being. Or maybe not.
 #1337963  by SemperFidelis

And in the spirit of a united America I will apologize to you, BRP, if I was too quick with my words. I suppose I am still consumed with much passion on the issue. To me, the battle flag flying in America is tantamount to flying the swastika over Auschwitz, but I'm glad I live in a country where my radically liberal views are balanced by those of others.

Not to get political, but I would have no objection if people were to fly the true flag of the Confederacy, the Stars and Bars, rather than the battle flag, to which so much controversy has been attached.

Seriously though, ignore Fess Parker's inability to be more than Davy Crokett-esque, and watch the movie. Disney's love for trains shines throughout it.

Happy Independece Day! Down the British!
 #1337968  by BR&P

SemperFidelis wrote:And in the spirit of a united America I will apologize to you, BRP, if I was too quick with my words.
No offense taken, no apology needed. Personally I like the old saying "I may disagree with what you say, but I will defend your right to say it." Mo matter which side someone is on, picking up the paper or looking at the news gives ample reasons for elevated blood pressure. I was not trying to fight the flag battle on a railfan forum, but was noting that in some cases even a passing use of it has resulted in removal. I see the show time was 12:15 this morning so it's water over the dam by this time anyhow.

Now if you want to start trouble, just post up a nice green NYC flag, and one of those mangy red PRR flags, and we'll have at it! :-D