Railroad Forums 

• Brightline (All Aboard Florida) Orlando - Miami FL FEC fka Virgin Rail

• This is a forum for all operations, both current and planned, of Brightline, formerly All Aboard Florida and Virgin Trains USA:
    Websites: Current Brightline
    Virgin USA
    Virgin UK
This is a forum for all operations, both current and planned, of Brightline, formerly All Aboard Florida and Virgin Trains USA:
Websites: Current Brightline
Virgin USA
Virgin UK

Moderator: CRail

#1459592  by Arlington

bostontrainguy wrote:They just released a video of the bicycle fatality:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=GYxYapG08u0" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
That video was released on Jan 25th (user Chaz posted it upthread on that date)
 #1459599  by SemperFidelis

BandA wrote:If I was a pedestrian there, I don't think I'd wait 1:15 to cross the tracks where there's good sight lines in both directions.
While I think I understand what you're saying, it is a troubling sentiment because you are probably correct in that the average pedestrian would probably get antsy waiting a whole minute and fifteen seconds (so very, very long!) for the train to pass them.

People are getting so used to the instantaneous everything that, quite clearly to any one of us who have tried to carry on a conversation with someone who is addicted to thier cell phone can truthfully speak to, expecting people to wait that long (for thier own safety and that of thier family) is getting difficult.

We even had to make specific rules about locomotive engineers not using cell phones while operating! Common sense is out the window.
 #1459609  by David Benton

It actually is a long time , when you are standing there with nothing to do. We have to test diesel heaters, which have a 2 minute flush time , before things start happening. It seems like forever. I think its because we have become so used to watching/ reading or otherwise interacting all the time , to stand there doing nothing for a minute or 2 seems like a long time.
 #1459649  by bostontrainguy

I always thought that the usual time is 20 seconds. Checking the fed regulations you get:

On tracks where trains operate at speeds of 20 mph or higher, the circuits controlling automatic flashing light signals shall provide for a minimum operation of 20 seconds before the arrival of any train. This 20-second warning time is a minimum. The warning time should be of sufficient length to ensure clearance of a vehicle that might have stopped at the crossing and then proceeded to cross just before the flashing lights began operation. Some railroads use a warning time of 25 seconds at crossings with automatic gates. Factors that can affect this time include the width of the crossing, the length and acceleration capabilities of vehicles using the crossing, highway grades, and the condition of the crossing surface.

I think that 1:15 is way too long. It almost encourages people to do something stupid. If the train was 30 seconds away there is not enough time to think about it. People would just wait.
 #1459695  by Noel Weaver

I believe there are requirements (Federeal) regarding how long the protection has to be activated before the train passes through the crossing and it is a lot longer than 15 seconds. I am using a walker at present and 15 seconds might not be long enough for me to clear the crossing if I am in the middle when the protection is activated. It is more like 30 to 60 seconds, most crossings today have motion sensors (AKA predictors) on them. I think all of the FEC crossings are so equipped.
Noel Weaver
 #1460514  by Gilbert B Norman

Although I'm not going to a concert at Kravis this year while I'm "down below" Feb 18-20 (the Chicago Symphony will be performing there, but it will be the same program that I heard last Friday at Orchestra Hall). I could possibly put Brightline to use to get from Ehh to Bee.

Here's how: drive to Ft. Lauderdale (from the Holiday Inn at Turnpike Exit 75), park at the "intro-free" garage, take Brightline to WP, walk to Ruth's Chris adjacent to Kravis, early Dinner (on my own; like to be gone from restaurants before they fill up), take Brightline back to FTL (that gives an hour to get .02 BAC out of me from any Grape Juice I had), drive back to hotel. Maybe I'll go Business NB and have a "comp" Grape Juice aperitif, SB Coach so "I won't be tempted.

All I ask is keep the Delray Beach "revelers" away from my trains. Anyone else around here know of that entertainment district at Atlantic Ave? The Late Randy Resor (NellieBly) once did as his Mother lived in Delray and he pointed out to me how it parallels the FEC and said before Brightline was ever dreamed of "there's going to be a moose-goosing here one of these days".
 #1460565  by Gilbert B Norman

Mr. Weaver, I'm just going up to WP for "some Cow and Grape Juice" at Ruth's Chris. I'll take the 355P up (why train numbers are a mystery with AAF escapes me) and the 7P back, with the hope of being back at the hotel (you've met me at it once upon a time) by my 830P bedtime.

And volks, guess what I HAVE A BRIGHTLINE ACCOUNT. Would you believe it?
 #1460576  by Gilbert B Norman

Well volks, I booked a ticket for my Feb 19 "joyride to chow". Up 355P in Select. Back 7P in Smart (don't want to be tempted on the return with their comp Grape Juice). Booking went very smooth.

What's another $22.50 when I've already laid out an "only sort of refundable" $814 for Auto-Train!!!

I have to give them credit for a smooth rollout. I'm not opposed to AAF; I'm just skeptical. They haven't a prayer if all they build is MIA-WPB (after seeing MIA first hand last week, I say a year to go, even if they are saying next Quarter, i.e by June 30) and only a slight one if MIA-ORL is ever completed.

Again I say; "get on down" and get your joyrides in.
 #1460866  by Gilbert B Norman

Volks, they appear to have "issues" with their ticketing system. I opened my American Express page and, voila, what did I see!

Two tickets for one me - same seat for both trains.

Here's what they have presently posted at their "chat" box:
If you have duplicate Brightline charges, please know that we are aware of the issue, and you will be issued a refund. If you made a booking and have not received an email with your ticket confirmation, it’s possible your reservation did not go through. If you made a booking and are unsure if you have a ticket, please reply back with HELP.
Oh well, what's another $22.50 (Select up Smart back less Veteran discount) on a trip that I will likely run up $3K.

....and maybe, just maybe, I'll see a credit on AMEX.
 #1460899  by Tadman

Given all the hype about trespasser and grade crossing incidents, I think it's worth noting that Denver RTD has stationed protect employees in front of all grade crossings on the new airport line. This is a complete new-build that runs up to 79mph. Perhaps this is prudent for Brightline to do for 90 days. Given that the gates are functioning, it's not legally a stop-and-protect so the gate workers could be hired traffic cone guys.
 #1460928  by Noel Weaver

Tadman wrote:Given all the hype about trespasser and grade crossing incidents, I think it's worth noting that Denver RTD has stationed protect employees in front of all grade crossings on the new airport line. This is a complete new-build that runs up to 79mph. Perhaps this is prudent for Brightline to do for 90 days. Given that the gates are functioning, it's not legally a stop-and-protect so the gate workers could be hired traffic cone guys.
Great except who is going to pay for all of this stuff. Foolishness is abundant around railroad tracks especially in Florida. There are well over 100 highway/street crossings just between the Fort Lauderdale and West Palm Beach stations. Just to put one person a day at each crossing would cost a fortune and the screwballs and nut cases are out 24 hours a day. Once they start running to Miami the situation is just as bad as there are just as many crossings south of Fort Lauderdale as there are between Fort Lauderdale and West Palm. Enforcement and education will help, guards at crossings will simply cost money.
Noel Weaver
 #1460929  by Jeff Smith

I'm not going to post the link, but there was another strike today, I think. Someone laying down between the tracks? Again, how BL is supposed to prevent this I don't know. Is safety equipment going to stop someone lying down in the tracks?

Well, I guess here is the link: http://www.miamiherald.com/news/local/c ... 26504.html" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
A Brightline train hit a pedestrian Thursday evening in Wilton Manors, the sixth crash involving the South Florida passenger rail line since it began testing its trains last year.

The unidentified person was taken to Broward General Hospital with non-life-threatening injuries, said Jennifer Bickhardt, a spokeswoman for Wilton Manors Police.

The crash happened just before 8 p.m. in the 1200 block of Northeast 24th Street. The area has been blocked off for the investigation.

It was not immediately clear if the safety gates were down when the accident occurred, Bickhardt said. Brightline could not be immediately reached for comment.

Fire officials told NBC6 the man lay in between the tracks, not across the tracks, which is how the train rolled over him without killing him.