Railroad Forums 

• Brightline West (XpressWest, DesertXpress) Las Vegas - Victorville - Rancho Cucamanga - LA Proposal

• This is a forum for all operations, both current and planned, of Brightline, formerly All Aboard Florida and Virgin Trains USA:
    Websites: Current Brightline
    Virgin USA
    Virgin UK
This is a forum for all operations, both current and planned, of Brightline, formerly All Aboard Florida and Virgin Trains USA:
Websites: Current Brightline
Virgin USA
Virgin UK

Moderator: CRail

#1518762  by D.S. Lewith

https://abcnews.go.com/US/high-speed-ca ... d=65264856

Fair-use quote:
High-speed California-to-Las Vegas train plan is a go
By SAMARA LYNN
Aug 29, 2019, 6:15 PM ET

After a number of fits and starts, plans for a high-speed train connecting California and Las Vegas are back on track.

The announcement was made at the Nevada Economic Development Conference on Tuesday.

The train will travel at speeds up to 150 miles per hour, making the nonstop trip between the Victor Valley region of California and the Las Vegas Strip in about 75-90 minutes, according to Las Vegas ABC affiliate KTNV.

A representative from Virgin Trains USA, formerly known as Brightline, confirmed to ABC News that the company is on track to start construction in the first half of 2020.
Last edited by CRail on Mon Sep 09, 2019 9:22 pm, edited 1 time in total. Reason: Merged link post with fair use quote by mtuandrew.
 #1518908  by Rockingham Racer

Some people seem to think that this service needs to get closer to L.A. One possibility is to change to Metrolink in Palmadale, but that raises the specter of the ever unpopular notion that a one-seat ride is highly desirable over a change of trains, and I agree.

Locals say that getting to Victorville from L.A. is the hard part of the trip. So, we'll see.

In any case, it will be very interesting to watch this proposal unfurl in the next couple of years.
 #1519213  by EuroStar

I will believe it when I see it. The new right of way in Florida is a small part of the whole route. This here is what, 200+ miles of right of way. They will need quite a few billion dollars for it and even in Florida the money has not being coming all that easily. I am afraid that if Virgin does not make it to profitability, their bankruptcy will put the kibosh in any new right of way expansion for another 100+ years.
 #1519296  by Hawaiitiki

I know I'm getting ahead of myself and apologies if I missed it earlier in this thread, but does anybody know if this is planned to be electrified from the start? 140-150mph cruising speed is pushing diesel traction to its limit.

I know California has great tax breaks regarding reducing emmissions and this line won't share with freight, so seems like if there was a time to electrify... Plus, getting off the shelf equipment that can handle that speed will be a lot easier.
 #1519305  by gokeefe

Interesting question. Hard to imagine for the timelines proposed that it will be electrified. That being said I strongly agree that California, of all places, could be the one that would offer tax credits that were significant enough to make a difference.
 #1519389  by justalurker66

gokeefe wrote: Fri Sep 06, 2019 7:29 amInteresting question. Hard to imagine for the timelines proposed that it will be electrified. That being said I strongly agree that California, of all places, could be the one that would offer tax credits that were significant enough to make a difference.
Could the tax credits be in excess of the taxes due? Basically paying a reward for reducing carbon emissions (moving X number of passengers out of individual use highway vehicles to a more efficient mode of travel)? I thought California was in deep financial problems ... where are they going to get the money to pay such a credit?
 #1519394  by gokeefe

korax wrote: Fri Sep 06, 2019 9:26 pm A Virgin Employee has implied electrification
https://twitter.com/bomalley/status/116 ... 58722?s=21
I took a look and don't necessarily agree with that interpretation. The tweet seemed to simply confirm route structure. Neither the proposition not the response made any hint of motive power. Assuming that CAHSR = electrification is an uncertain assumption unless you know each parties thought context.