Railroad Forums 

• How is Brightline doing so far at filling its Trains?

• This is a forum for all operations, both current and planned, of Brightline, formerly All Aboard Florida and Virgin Trains USA:
    Websites: Current Brightline
    Virgin USA
    Virgin UK
This is a forum for all operations, both current and planned, of Brightline, formerly All Aboard Florida and Virgin Trains USA:
Websites: Current Brightline
Virgin USA
Virgin UK

Moderator: CRail

#1461610  by CentralValleyRail

I was on the 4pm Brightline train out of PBI enroute to FLL last Friday. The Select Coach (business class for lack of a better word) was filled to capacity if it wasn't there was maybe one open seat. The VP had a group of 6 or 7 men on the train ( judging by the $600 shoes some of them were wearing my guess was maybe investors into the train) By the time the attendant got around to the final passenger the train was practically in FLL. I can see this being more of an issue when the service routinely has a full crowd.

The other 3 coaches maybe had 15 people between the 3 coaches but 50 people or so in select is not bad. I spoke with the PBI station manager who actually will be the Miami Station manager when it opens and he said they were expecting NO ONE and while crowds haven't been surging he said they have gotten more than expected. He also said they are running the service at a loss right now but it has made the training process quite smooth.
 #1462300  by chrsjrcj

Rockingham Racer wrote:Anecdotal reports that I've come across [2] say around 10 per trip.
Looking at the seat map on the website I could 31 seats unavailable (presumably sold) for the 11:55 am departure from Fort Lauderdale and that is with a $20 price point up from the initial $15. In the "cheap seats" I count 28 unavailable, and that's for half the price.

I know weekend and midday service has been doing better than the conventional rush hour trains. With limited areas served and high prices it is definitely more for leisure riders as opposed to daily commuters (Tri-Rail does a decent job at that, and will even more so once the DT Miami link opens).
 #1593620  by nomis

I guess they are hoping a monthly pass will help fill the trains up with bringing commuters in.

Based on one month of unlimited usage, and their auto-renewal saves 5%.

For Smart - $199 for one station, $299 for 2 station service.
For Select - $429 for one station, $549 for 2 station service.
 #1593644  by west point

This appears to be very smart marketing. Get a loyal base that will pass the word once revenue service begins farther north. What in my opinion is that it cannot start some temporary service MIA - Cocoa? $5.00 / gallon + might give a lot of persons incentive. Once the bridge at Jupiter is complete then maybe? It would require POTUS to waive some ADA requirements at Cocoa.
 #1593709  by HenryAlan

The pricing is consistent or even a bit on the low end for commuter rail passes. A monthly MBTA pass for Zone 8, will get you unlimited rides between Providence and Boston for $388. That's a 49 mile driving distance, where as West Palm to Miami is 72 miles for less money and on a decidedly nicer train. I would expect this to be very popular.