Railroad Forums 

For discussion of the various Class III Lines of WATCO Companies. Class II holdings should be discussed in the relevant separate forums above.

Their website is here: http://www.watcocompanies.com/
A list of their holdings is here: https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Watco_Companies
 #1493603  by Matt Langworthy

So the blue sky I see in FB photos must be fake, too? lol

Let's put it like this- I'd be willing to be that every single person who has posted on rr.net has used information they've gotten on the internet at one point or another. Heck, if it wasn't for the Internet, who among us would already know the ithaca Central RR is operating?
 #1494498  by Neo

I can answer this.............NO!!! I lived in ithaca when conrail attempted to send 90 empty coal cars and 17 loaded salt hoppers - - - they couldn't make the hill - - last car just beyond the "Babbling Brook Crossing"....? They cut the first set of loaded salt cars to put in the Spencer siding....then returned for the rest. Still couldn't get pulling forward.....remember engineer commenting (via radio) up to notch 8 (or 9) and still couldn't get the rest to budge forward........"in tow" pull the whole show backward yet further. "Outlawed" with three, instructed bring rest of loaded salt cars back - - pick up Spencer siding cars- - go to Sayre....new crew due then. I wrote story the next day about the whole affair.......it WAS like a kid at christmas moment for me ......at the time.
 #1494499  by Neo

Sorry = = forgot biggest part of story - - engineer offered me and a friend a ride in the cab from nothern Danby (where grade gets really steep) all the way to Spencer and back.....As a railfan....I thought I could have wet myself!! The Engineer shared many stories during the trip - - including one (in the Lehigh Valley days) bringing a loaded coal train down the hill (middle of January 76 - - if I remember him correctly)......ice froze on the brakes of the cars.....couldn't control it and put it on the ground ("Hit so hard we put rails into nearby tree's) with such force/speed. Additional (but unnerving stories) if interested. He was great!! Thrilled to pieces to experience the ride from north Danby all the way to Spenser\\
 #1494531  by BR&P

Neo wrote: (in the Lehigh Valley days) bringing a loaded coal train down the hill (middle of January 76 - - if I remember him correctly)......ice froze on the brakes of the cars.....couldn't control it and put it on the ground ("Hit so hard we put rails into nearby tree's) with such force/speed.
Well. several members on here were around and actively railfanning the LV during that time. IF that happened someone will no doubt recall it. :wink:
 #1494550  by TrainDetainer

There were several coal train wrecks on the hill, and if you know where to look you can still see the scars and spilled coal. Ones I remember (second hand) were one big wreck at the trailer court near the bottom of the hill at Newfield (I had a newspaper article on it somewhere), one train that went into the creek in Newfield around 300.5, another was further up the hill at Station Rd. IIRC, there was still a pile of coal on the NW side of the crossing from the latter. There are plenty of stories around that hill on the RR and it's one place that engineers really earn their money. We used to have a saying that (I'm paraphrasing) any trip down the hill intact was a successful trip but if you walked away from it it was a good trip.
 #1494587  by lvrr325

My ride up from Sayre was on a coal train. I remember the conductor warning me to expect a possible heavy slack run in at the bottom of the grade, because the engineer was qualifying on the line and they didn't know how his train handling would be - but he got it just right, nice and smooth and no problems.

Some one of these days if I can ever get a slide scanner I'll post some of the pictures.